Problem with startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky116

In Runtime
hello,

i am having a problem for a couple of days now.

whenever i start my computer i see the following message.

Intel Desktop Boards
624 MB System RAM

Legacy Keyboard ... detected
Legacy Mouse ........detected
USB Legacy Enabled

Fixed Disk 0.3M-ST340015A (Ultra DMA Mode ATA/100)
ATAPI CD-ROM4M-GCR-8521B

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad
CMOS Date/Time Not Set

Dual-channel operation requires identical paired DIMMs installed across both memory channels.
Press any key to continue....
Press<F4> to run SETUP

when i press F4 and set the correct time and date and press F10 to save and exit. it saves and then i get to the screen where i have to choose between my 2 systems, windows 98 and windows XP.

i use XP normally and when i choose my system, i can work.

When i shutdown my computer and switch on computer later again i get the same message as above!

Intel desktop board
press any key to continue

whats the problem? why isnt the date and time being saved?

whats CMOS/GPNV checksum bad mean?

whenever i run Spybot-SD i get this:

MyWay.MyWebSearch
registry value
Threat UPSC
IE Toolbar

Is this related to the problem i am having? Is this some kind of virus induced problem?

Sounds like the CMOS battery is dieing, replace the silver battery on the mother board and that should fix it.

whats the problem? why isnt the date and time being saved?

whats CMOS/GPNV checksum bad mean?

A checksum is a verification by the system that something checks out ok - in this case, the CMOS battery seems to be pooping out.

Is this related to the problem i am having? Is this some kind of virus induced problem?

Not a virus, like Saxon said, it is probably your CMOS battery dieing. Easy to replace. Usually just a little clip that pulls back enough to slide it up and out. Face the new battery in the same direction as the old one is the simplest way to say it.

its the large battery inside that looks like the one in a watch, only bigger right?

so i ask the shop keeper for CMOS battery right?

There should be a part number on the battery. 90% of the time it'll be CR2032. Tell them you need that battery (they may or may not know what a CMOS battery even is, depending on who you talk to in a shop ;). )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom