Monitor Refresh Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesouthazn

Solid State Member
I have a 17" CRT Monitor. It's always been set at 60 Hz refresh rate and I've never had a headache/migraine while using it, even after using it for 10 hours straight.

Today I read an article that said that 60 Hz refresh rate isn't actually good for you and something around 85 Hz is better, easier on the eyes and on the head. So I decided to up my refresh rate to 85, and instantly I could feel a certain pressure in my head. I thought it might be momentary and I just needed time to adjust to it, but the pressure stayed and got a little worse.

So I stepped the refresh rate down to 75 Hz, and my head cleared somewhat. But after 30 minutes of playing a game at this new refresh rate, the pressure came back. I just stepped the refresh rate back down to 60, and my head feels a little better, but I can still feel the pressure.

Does it just take a lot of time for one to adjust to a new refresh rate? Every site I go to says that I should set my refresh rate to around 85 Hz, so I don't think I should keep mine at 60 Hz. What do you guys suggest I do?

my 22" is running at 60hz(my only other choice is 59hz) so i would say 60 is fine...all though i haven't used a crt in a long time and am not sure what hz it should be set to.

The refresh rate on an LCD doesn't really matter as much, Luke. 60 is where your monitor should be.

A CRT, however, is a different story. 60 is as low of a refresh rate as you should go. "The higher, the better" used to the slogan around here. I found that going too high with it degraded how it made things look, though. Try running at 75 and give yourself a little time to get used to it. Then try 85. The main thing is to find what works best.

That's odd, on CRT monitors 60Hz gives me a headache as I can see the flickering of the screen...75Hz is what I prefer.

Try it again and forget about the pressure thing, sounds like a placebo effect to me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom