Western journey progress...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesgroovin

HONK if you route packets
Hey all...I must say that this is quite a journey!
The first day was sort of easy. I drove from Sykesville, MD to Gastonia, NC which is about 475 miles or so. Stayed with some relatives and left this morning. Today I drove from Gastonia, NC to Dallas which is quite a haul. I'm sure it was between 1000 and 1100 miles! Needless to say, I'm glad that I'm out of my car and hittin' the hay....
More later....

-Mike

Day 2....
Had to escape the nasty weather just north of me. Tacked on an extra couple hundred miles or so...
*sigh*

i didn't know it was possible to drive that much in a day. mike just curious, why not take a plane? my car would die on a trip like that. if you are going to seattle and need a place to stay while in washington state gimme a holla :)

You live in WA???? What city dude?
I have too much crap to ship out. And, not to mention, my car. I tried to sell all that I could but...alas...
Plus, the drive REALLY is relaxing. You get a lot of time to yourself to think and not be rushed by anyone else. I like it.

Day 3...
This was another long day. From Dallas, TX to Flagstaff, AZ. 994.5 miles! Flagstaff is a beautiful town!!! Cold though...

Day 4...
Flagstaff to Reno, NV. 841.3 miles.
Has anyone ever driven from Vegas to Reno on 95 north? Crazy drive...very flat and you have "Area 51" to your east. I was driving along and I saw a faint orange light to the east....so I kept driving and sure enough, I saw a little dirt road that seemed to be even with the light. I passed it wondering where it went and what the orange light was.... Then about 5 minutes later I thought...hell, I'm not going to get a chance to do this again and I got plenty of gas so, I turned around on 95 and went south toward the light again. I saw the road and then turned off on it. The road was STRAIGHT and DARK. The light got brighter and brighter. Finally I was at a point where I could make out a couple of small buildings and a booth. The booth was guarded by some barbed-wire fences. I got closer and noticed a siloette of a guy standing outside the booth and to the right of it. He was very still and seemed to be watching me come down the road. I got really close and then saw a sign that said "US Armed Forces Electronic Combat Range". I slammed on my brakes and turned around right in front of the guy and hauled ass back the other way. He was probably like "WTF?......" I knew that "Area 51" way over the mountain range from where I was but the light and the road were too strange and creepy to pass by.... :)

Day 5...
Made it to WA today. From Reno, NV to Vancouver, WA with an easy drive to Seattle, WA tomorrow! 747.4 miles...
I also hit the 4,000 mile mark today!!!!
Currently borrowing an internet connection from a Staybridge Suites too! I'm staying here and all and I thought the internet access was free.....but, as soon as you connect their DNS server redirects you to a pay screen. $15 a day??? right.....
A little change in the PHP code in the URL and what do ya know??!?! ;)
I love technology......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom