Whats the difference between a router and a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

warnzie

Solid State Member
Hay guys...bit of a stupid Q, whats the difference between a router and a switch

Not a stupid question at all.
Well, I hope that I was able to shed a little light on what a switch was in your other post. In that case, a router is a networking device (hardware or software) that is able to communicate between 2 or more different networks. A router will receive a network packet and determine, by the packet's header information, if the packet should be, ignored, passed along, or edited and then passed along. Also, if it does need to pass along the packet, it will determine (given it's ever-changing routing tables) the best route to it's destination. Routers are used everyday to make the internet possible. I know that this may not be as informative as you may have hoped.....but it's a starting block.

-Mike

And simple: Switch is the device that conect computers in one network, Router connect that netwrok with other networks.

When computer from your LAN have request to view page not from your LAN, the router is the one to make it posible...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom