Getting the Best out of my internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baconpwnsall

Beta member
I'm using Aliant Canada internet services, and using their ultra high speed service. On their website it says that ultra services offers 5mbps, yet speedtest only gives me 1.5mbps. That's almost 200% LESS then what they advertised. Would calling aliant solve this problem?

Hello,

With a situation like that you will have to call them and have them test the lines.

But there are other factors to consider.

1. How far away you are from the exchange server
2. If the line is shared by people around you.
3. What time of day you are getting these speeds.

For 1. if you are to far away from the exchange servers you speed will not hit the 5mb/s cause of the fact of the distance it has to travel to get to you. Which would result in lost speed.

2. If the connection is shared that means that everyone around you that use the same provider are also using the same line to transfer data and would also slow you down.

3. If you are using and testing this at prime times like mid day or early evening then that would be a factor as most people are home from work and such and could be on their PC's doing things as well. Which would also contribute to the slow down.

All of these thigns play a factor to why you wont get the max. Even on a 5mb/s line when i am close to the exchange servers i still never see 4mb. At most i get 2.5 maybe 3 if it is early morning and not many people are on near me.

But call them and see what they say.

Cheers,
Mak

I am using DSL, the doesn't use shared connections like cable, if I am correct.

I am around 5 miles for the nearest service tower, and this speed is constant 24/7

2.5 - 3 is acceptable because I like to stream movies, and not have constant stuttering (Even on youtube). That would be double the speed I am aquiring now (Its actually around 1.2-1.3 range).

302901238.png

Hello,

Then only a call to them can give you more definate answers.

Cheers,
Mak

Since DSL uses phone lines, perhaps the lines in your area are not up to the task. Check around with your neighbors that use the same ISP and see what they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom