Essentail Tools for Field PC Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyjoes

Beta member
Essential Tools for Field PC Technician

I recently received my A+ certification. I am trying to find out what tools are going to be needed to perform my job. Is a laptop computer going to be helpful for a field technician? I have a pretty good understanding of the necessary hardware tools I will need but I'm not certain about the software tools. I plan on starting a home based business that will be performing on-site service and repairs.

In my software binder I carry around, I have:

One of about each Windows OEM install discs (XP, Vista versions). I also have a Hiren's BootCD (a must-have for anybody that fixes computers), a bootable Linux LiveCD. I usually take a flash drive as well, that has the virus removal tools found in our malware guide (Osiris Spyware Guide). As for hardware, a laptop can be a nice thing to carry around. May want a spare HDD, as well as PSU and RAM.

No offense but how did you get certified if you don't know this? Just curious... sorry if it seemed rude :\

uhmmm K here goes:

Laptop..nah. But a USB thumb drive would be nice. Software tools I'd say would be useful are : memtest tools, virus scanner, maybe some types of temperature monitoring software, OS you could be able to boot into ..some form of linux, defragger...that's all i could think of.

Maybe get an extra thumb drive or one that's big enough so you can back up some really important data too.

If i think of more I'll post again

Laptop..nah. But a USB thumb drive would be nice. Software tools I'd say would be useful are : memtest tools, virus scanner, maybe some types of temperature monitoring software, OS you could be able to boot into ..some form of linux, defragger...that's all i could think of.

Hiren's BootCD has just about all of that, minus the bootable OS, heh.

I like having a laptop or netbook out with me when I am on site. I like the netbook more as it's smaller and light weight.

Letherman Pocket Knife with the assortment of screw drivers head. I nick-name my leatherman "Amex" because I don't leave home with out it.

External Hard Drive for Data Back Up. Plus I used the hard drive to store a lot of other software tools that I will use on site. Make sure you put a FAT32 Partition on it too.

CAT 5e Network Cable
CAT 5e Cross Over Cable
USB to Eithernet Adaptor

CD Wallet with the following CDs
- Windows 98se/Me/2k/Xp/Vista*
- Windows Service Packs
- Various version of Office 2000/Xp/2003*
- MS Office 2007 OEM OPK Kit (this will allow you to install just about any office 2007 except enterprise edition)*
- Magical Jelly Bean Software - Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder v2.0.1
- Offline NT Password & Registry Editor both on CD Rom and Floppy Disk
- Windows 98 & DOS Boot Disk
- Parition Magic (or some other Partition Tool)
- Windows 98 Driver for your USB External Hard Drive.

* Only use these products when the customer has these legit products on thier computer. Use Magic Jelly Bean to find out their original serial number.

I also have a Hiren's BootCD (a must-have for anybody that fixes computers),
Could you send me a link please

Because I need to do this for myself, I am building up a list of http://www.techist.com/forums/f42/essentail-spare-parts-onsite-computer-service-210720/#post1675639

Oh yeah... don't laugh at this, however...... USB Floppy Drive.
About once every 3 months or so, I get job where I need mine.
- Firstly, I don't trust flashing motherboard bios in windows. I still find it's safer to use a boot disk to boot into DOS in order to flash bios
- Secondly, the occasional time where i have to press F6 to load drivers on a notebook computer some of these newer sata controllers, but there is no floppy drive. At least with a desktop, you can install 1 floppy disk drive for the time being to get your job done.

I actually just have an old floppy with cables I carry around.

At least now you can flash boards from bios with a usb stick. About time.

I got certifed because I passed the exams. These exams are vendor neutral. The training materials provide little infomation about the software company names. I realize what type of software I need, I'm trying to find out which ones are the most effective. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom