What the hell happened to all the PC Repair jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean. I applied at best buy for pc tech position, and they called me for an interview, so I was like cool I might have a chance, and then I got there and they said all PC tech positions are filled but we have pc sales. Man, sales suck. Good thing they never hired me. lol

Hi guys. Ok a few things.

Yeah. I forgot to mention about security. Didn't think u were into it since u seemed to be a h/w guy.

Actually, a few guys and myself started up a company couple years ago, while still in undergrad. We design security systems (financial, etc.). In anycase, we applied for a couple of patents even. Awaiting funding :)..

it's an interesting field for sure. Depends on what you want to go in to. There are 2 aspects to it. Design of primitives like encryption/hash algorithms and "system design".

The first, requires HEAVY math. You really need to know a lot of math in Statistics, Optimization, real analysis, etc. to design good crypto primitives.

For the latter (systems), it is not as needed. You can "use" those primitives and use them to build "systems".. For this, math is obviously useful. But not to the same extent.

There are jobs out there. But first decide what you want.

As for your resume..

1) Skills
2) Awards
3) Experience
4) Education

This is the order I would go with. Don't mix soft/hard skills together. Separate them. i.e. peoples skills vs your tech background. Also, devide up s/w and h/w skills if you can.

Awards are important. Resumes all look the same. YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT SUCH THAT YOU CATCH THE PERSON'S EYE IN THE 15 SECONDS THEY USE TO PERUSE YOUR RESUME.

Work experience can go after that. Unless you go to MIT or Harvard, put "Education" last. Well, I guess if you can put your "Hobbies/Interests" at the VERY very end if you want.

:)

Woohoo! I got an interview at Best Buy on Tuesday! I actually applied for two positions, one was Geek Squad and the other was basically working out on the sales floor. Hopefully they want me for Geek Squad :p

Any suggestions, comments, words of wisdom or anything for Tuesday? I'm usually really good in interviews but I can get hung up sometimes and freak myself out, like anxiety attack or something.... reality hits me like AHHH.... but yeah I guess it's all in the confidence. WORDS OF CONFIDENCE GUYS!!!

Just be yourself --- either they like you or they don't

however, you should offer more than the others... BUT you already do... RIGHT? ;) ;)

if you are confident in yourself, they will see that :)

good luck

ALSO..
no "east option"
--- do a search on east.. type in the word east??

east what?

Thresh:

I agree with most of the advice given here except for one thing. If you do go into business for yourself, don't charge less than your competitors. It IS all about professionalism and appearance and charging too little gives the impression that you're not as good as your competitors.
When I started my business 18 years ago, I found out what the competition was charging and charged the average. By competition, I mean other small businesses, not the big guys who can demand a premium.
Starting your own business is scary and you'll have to expect to live on crumbs for a looong time but the rewards are well worth it.
As they say, you can't beat the hours -- mainly because there are just too many of them. But seriously, there is nothing like being your own boss.
As for where have all the jobs gone. At your age, take any job that interests you. My current employee (the best one I've had in many years) had never worked in the IT business before but his resume showed steady, uninterrupted employment over the years. I've found that's more valuable in an employee than anything. A resume with gaps in it suggests an employee that doesn't like to work. A resume that shows changing jobs frequently isn't as bad as you might think as long as those changes are "upgrades" to a better job.

I've been told that gaps in your work history look bad by someone else as well. Unfortunately, mine has some gaps and not because I'm a slacker but because I just can't find jobs! Atleast ones that would be any sort of "upgrading" or even the same sort of thing really. I guess I should mention that in my interview, or should I say anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom