What the hell happened to all the PC Repair jobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Desktop Engineer
Honestly. I have applied for everything and they either aren't hiring or want 5+ years of experience. Im 19, i've got experience working for the State as a technology intern doing pc repair, cabeling, etc... I was also a PC Technician Intern at a very popular computer repair business, and i've worked in retail (compusa and circuit city) selling networking and pc upgrades equipment. I've taken 2 years of Computer Systems Technology and graduated at the top of my class. It's a technical center but college acredited and I got First Place at the Regional PC Repair Competition and could've went to state but was working at the time. So im perfect entry level person but I can't find ANYONE that will take me. I've been looking for almost 6 months now. I've come to the conclusion that Richmond is just plain horrible for a tech career. What I would want is a computer repair career, if not that then computer retail and im pretty much at the point where I wont even be able to get a technical related job. This is honestly BS, I don't think I should be working at Ukrops or Kroger bagging groceries and stocking with my sort of experience.

And its not that I don't follow up on my applications and when I hand in my resume's, I do but get blown off basically. "We are still reviewing your resume/application we will let you know" Of course they don't call back. So I continue to call back and they will say something else.

Join the club. But hey just keep looking, something will come around. I've been looking for months too, and got offered my first job the other day. I had to turn it down beacuse they weren't paying enough and I have a mortgate, daughter etc. But things do come up, don't give up :)

Go to University man. You are still young. Get a degree in Comp and then you can get cool jobs. Forget repair. You can do some design/manufacturing :)

In anycase, if you "only" want a repair job, did you try the big vendors?.. Dell, Compaq, etc. They probably sell more computers than any local corner computer store

I can't afford college right now. Plus design/manufacturing isn't my cup of tea. I was thinking more like networking and such. But I haven't tried Dell or anything because I don't think they have a place nearby here. And i'm temporarly living with a friend so I don't have enough cash to move right now :-/

there's prolly IT recruiting offices around you. these places will find entry level jobs doing contract or temp to hire jobs.

you should be able to find a lot of these offices on job search sites. i've been using hot jobs and tech careers (at top of pg) for a few months now. I posted my resume online at hotjobs and got multiple job offers.

Chankama said:
Go to University man. You are still young. Get a degree in Comp and then you can get cool jobs. Forget repair. You can do some design/manufacturing :)

In anycase, if you "only" want a repair job, did you try the big vendors?.. Dell, Compaq, etc. They probably sell more computers than any local corner computer store

Christ go into something to do with security. My buddy, a life long goof ball, just moved to Amsterdam for a $125,000 a year job involving internet security. He graduated from Illinois, so he didn't attend Yale or something. He has a company car and a row house right on the canals, which was found by his employers. I will try and get in touch with him and ask him what he does specifically.

Security seems the way to go from what I have read. Considering it will only get worse it seems like there will always be work and companies looking for professionals.

The guy who told you to get a degree is right. Your 19, it might not be what you want to hear but... You can have all the hands on real world experience in the world but without that piece of paper it means nothing to the people that matter.

Security is exactly what I want to do though. But it might be different once I start doing it every day for the rest of my life. Plus, the course would be tough - school and I don't mix. Since this is something I want to do, it may come easier, but I doubt it. I HATE math and I know security has alot to do with it.

I suppose you should do what you like and not make a choice based on money. I'm in the same boat with school, it just wasn't for me so I joined the military.

If you really want to get into security then stick with it. You can do it.

That's was the hardest thing about life for me so far. Finally making a choice about which way I wanted to go. If that meant school, it meant even more difficult choices. I have always had a problem making up my mind about super important things like this.

It came down to making a decision over 4 or 5 different paths in life, all things I wanted to do. That was very difficult, and I still sit back and wonder some days.

Again, my friend was no scholar, its actually quite shocking to hear that the course involves math considering. Take my word for it, if he could do it I could do it, and I never made it out of algebra in Jr high and high school!!

Security takes time tho, and some of the certifications can be both meticulous and expensive. It's well worth it, tho.
To get the job you want, you're gonna either have to put in some more school time, or spend money to take the cert courses. Thats if you wanna find a decent paying job..soon. You still have so much time to take advantage of so many opportunities, get some books on the different avenues of IT that you are interested in. Reading never hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom