What is the point in PC gaming at this point in the console life cycle?

I think there are many different aspects of the pc vs. console question. My argument is for the PC, though.
Sure, you can get a console for a cheaper price and you can do many other things for a cheaper price. But, the one thing I have found more rewarding with the PC is the ability to download and play free mods.

I think there are many different aspects of the pc vs. console question. My argument is for the PC, though.
Sure, you can get a console for a cheaper price and you can do many other things for a cheaper price. But, the one thing I have found more rewarding with the PC is the ability to download and play free mods.
OPs question was what is the advantage since he already has a PS4. Pretty much all answered and since he got a GTX 970 I think he agrees.

OPs question was what is the advantage since he already has a PS4. Pretty much all answered and since he got a GTX 970 I think he agrees.

Was a birthday present. Otherwise wouldn't have got one.

PS: I is a WIZARD now!

Last edited:
Well... Heres my story..

Console, component fails, you buy a whole new console. Recently the DVD drive on my console (Xbox 360) failed in such a way the only way to revive it is to figure out a way to mod it with-out the old PCB on the drive as that is what burned up, never able to take it online or do much of anything with it at this point even if I could get it modded to work again.

PC, DVD drive fails? $20 and a trip to town, at that, I really only use the drive when installing the OS and creating new cds, rarely have a need to install or play games via disk.

For me it's more about keeping something operational over time instead of just upgrading it. I mean seriously, I am the one member here sitting on ANCIENT hardware for gaming, and still manage to enjoy my games just fine.

But you know what, that's not really the issue IMO. The issue is when the game consoles went from being just a game box to doing everything. They essentially became low power PCs to go under your TV and be controlled by a controller. All the underlying features hog up power. SNES when it came out, N64, PS1, whatever when they came out had one thing to do and one thing only. Even back then compared to PCs they were exceptionally slow but still extremely fun. I think the idea of gaming is stronger than ever, but the purpose of it has pretty much lost meaning. The newer generation leading the pack with sales dictating what comes out is really pushing in the wrong generation. There is nothing wrong IMO with the progression of graphics, but when graphics takes precedent over fun factor is when you start having issues like what we're seeing.

You make good points PP, but it seems like you're contradicting yourself here. So please clear me up if I'm interpreting this incorrectly. First, you say the underlying features of current-gen consoles hog up the console's power, so (here's my assumption) it sounds as if you also mean that graphics power is diminished on consoles because of all of the other junk they try to stuff into them. Then, you make a statement that consoles have gotten to where they are because graphics have taken precedence over fun. I agree with your last point; I'd take gameplay over graphics any day. There are some fun games today that aren't necessarily graphics powerhouses - that's fine by me. If console 1080P/60 is a worse experience that 1080P/30, I'll opt for the latter.

OP: If I had the wits and time to build my own machine and keep up with all of the hardware/software needed to keep up, I'd definitely do it in order to experience better graphics and frame rate. But, having kids, wife, and 9 to 5, it's very convenient (for me) to be able to just buy a console, start it up, download games for me and my boys to play, or use any of the other apps on the console without the hassle of staying ahead of PC requirements for games. It's all preference but it's just easier for me.

You make good points PP, but it seems like you're contradicting yourself here. So please clear me up if I'm interpreting this incorrectly. First, you say the underlying features of current-gen consoles hog up the console's power, so (here's my assumption) it sounds as if you also mean that graphics power is diminished on consoles because of all of the other junk they try to stuff into them. Then, you make a statement that consoles have gotten to where they are because graphics have taken precedence over fun. I agree with your last point; I'd take gameplay over graphics any day. There are some fun games today that aren't necessarily graphics powerhouses - that's fine by me. If console 1080P/60 is a worse experience that 1080P/30, I'll opt for the latter.

OP: If I had the wits and time to build my own machine and keep up with all of the hardware/software needed to keep up, I'd definitely do it in order to experience better graphics and frame rate. But, having kids, wife, and 9 to 5, it's very convenient (for me) to be able to just buy a console, start it up, download games for me and my boys to play, or use any of the other apps on the console without the hassle of staying ahead of PC requirements for games. It's all preference but it's just easier for me.
You're absolutely correct, but the underlying and unfortunate fact is graphics push the market. So with that being said, everything else simply takes away from the capabilities. Even so, the current consoles still aren't that great in terms of raw horsepower compared to even a midrange PC.

What you call preference I can pretty much call excuse, but that's just me. I'm in the same situation but since it's my hobby that I've been doing forever the build and upgrade aspect doesn't ward me off much. You don't necessarily have to upgrade all that much. Start with a good platform and you can upgrade (if you chose) every 3-5 years. It's roughly the same cost as a new console every 5-7 years without including accessory costs if we stick to mainstream parts. There's more to PC gaming than FPS and resolution.

Back
Top Bottom