Potentially the longest thread in history...

Just thinking about it a bit more. If you were simming 250K people, that means you are going to be simming 50K cars in rush hour minimum.

Thats not happening on a CPU or GPU front lol. Total War games kill PCs when you get to those figures, and they are only simulating things on a group AI level, which is much less intensive than every soldier individually of course.

I agree, properly simulating that level of traffic would be incredibly complex although I think they could have done a much more realistic job of approximating it with the performance constraints they have. It looks like they just went for the shortest path, adding a weight to the path based on road type and speed is a pretty basic graph theory algorithm that any computer science junior would be able to do. Accounting for other traffic would increase complexity but it still seems very doable to me, actually it sounds like a pretty fun problem to work on.

Last edited:
Re: Today I have...

Thing is Maxis is like Blizzard, they want it to run on 5 year old normal PCs. So you end up with some half hearted features.

Today I got home, opened the front door, and dad just said "Me and your mother are getting a divorce".

Oh okay :p Hi dad ?

Not at all shocked, they had a bad relationship for many years now. The atmosphere around the house always sucked. My parents would watch the same TV program on two different TV's, they would cook seperate meals, they would always be moaning under their breath when the other did anything slightly annoying or inconvenient such as boil a kettle, as the noise could be heard over the TV.. that one really ****ed my dad off. But only if my mum did it.

So yeah, i'm actually quite relieved.

Last edited:

So what are you going to do?

Most likely live with my mum as she will live much closer to my work. I'll help pay the bills till she gets on her feet, and then hopefully I will be offered a better position at my work in a few months time at which point I should be good to rent my own flat and still help my mum out.

Today I have realized I work in the wrong job. Just was working on a loan app with a member, he needed to send in paystubs...on his application he stated he made 69k a month (which I found out was based on his 2012 W2), but that's not the worst of it. His gross year to date income for up through the end of March is 462k.

462k. For 3 MONTHS OF WORK.

FML.

Today I have realized I work in the wrong job. Just was working on a loan app with a member, he needed to send in paystubs...on his application he stated he made 69k a month (which I found out was based on his 2012 W2), but that's not the worst of it. His gross year to date income for up through the end of March is 462k.

462k. For 3 MONTHS OF WORK.

FML.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What kind of job does he have?!?!?

We got a puppy today. Rescue dog, mix between a pit and border collie, 14 weeks. She is so SWEET. Her name is Roxi.

20130320_215113.jpg

Sooo we just got Andi's 401k payout from leaving her job here, and while we are earmarking most of it for paying bills and floating while she finds work, I was thinking about taking the rest of my taxes and adding some of her money to build my new machine. Since I don't need to scrimp AS much, I bumped from a 3570K to a 3770K because I could, and upped to the ASUS Maximus Gene V board instead of the budget one...but now I'm wondering if I should even bother doing this now with Haswell on its way with a new socket. Seems like 1155 will be left behind for 1150 if I'm reading correctly.

Should I just wait at this point?

4770k only brings about 10% overall gain and lower power consumption. It's going to cost more and I don't expect the 3770k is going to drop that far after launch either. That being said, there isn't a point for an overpriced board with either setup.

Back
Top Bottom