New build for kid #3.

Well- they may decide to use 2 x 290's in crossfire? For the 10 bucks the option might be worth it. How about audio? I have head that some of the mobo's have better "audio out" than others for headphones, etc.

EDit: Have been reading about the audio codecs, etc. today- apparently the Realtek ACL 1220 is the real deal as it competes with some sounds cards with the online audio. Also, some of the Gigabyte MOBO's with have the ALC1220 actually feature a dual 120DB "smart" audio output ( one front and one back).

Last edited:
Decided on a ASRock Fatality AB350 K4 gaming mobo. The mobo's with the better 1220 realtek were too expensive and I think the audio from this mobo will be soo much better than what they are used to , there is no reason to even bring it up.

Sorry man didn't even see your other post. If they want to do Crossfire the b350 will do it, and onboard audio has been more than adequate for most people for the better part of 4 gens or so. And if they were really serious about audio (and I mean like, several hundred dollar headphones etc) then they could just get a USB DAC/Amp setup.

No worries- as I said I think it will be just fine. They use a Seinhauser headphone that is wireless regularly that was a 16th birthday present.

Thats what I finally decided as well. MY next Build the audio will be a huge reason for which mobo I get. MY current mobo audio is "ok" - but not great. Sending via HDMI to a 7 year old Sony AVR. I have to put the volume up to near 100% on the Sony to push a 5.1 setup- some of the issue is the large front speakers are not very efficient. So, I think it is great the new trend to is improve the sound coming from the MOBO as I use the PC as a CD player, watch TV and movies thru it etc.

well guess in my situation it is my Sony AVR for sure then. I figured there may be codecs,etc. on the mobo/software that could make a difference. Blahh.. dam... Next purchase I guess.

HDMI and optical/toslink both use straight digital signal so completely bypasses your audio hardware. I'm currently using a cheap Sony AV I got off Amazon using optical out of my sound card.

So wait- are you saying the HDMI out of the GPU bypasses my Sony AVR receiver hardware or the PC hardware? Currently, the audio from the PC is just OK - (NO hum or distortion)- I just cant get any decent volume when watching a movie, or playing a game. And if I use a different signal - like my PS3 or DVD player- using the same HDMI cord, the same HDMI input on the back of the receiver- the audio is much louder. So it has to be the source = the PC. Maybe I just have a GPU that has an audio issue?

My GPU: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265#close

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom