Need a new router... again!

Like Carnage and Krazyq, I have the Asus RT-n66u. Best router I've ever owned.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your surge protector? If you are buying refurbished versus new that may be one reason for the short life. Though most people either don't know or forget that when they buy a surge protector the the Joule rating is a lifetime rating not a per surge rating. In other words they should be replaced every 6 to 12 months and immediately after a surge. This time length of course varies depending on your particular areas power stability and storm tendency.

Just a thought, a lot of times when my members have come to me for a bad item it was usually plugged into a surge protector that was 2+ years old meaning it wasn't protected very well and likely not at all...another weak protection point has been when they don't surge protect their line in to their modem and then connect to the router..

I use a power strip, a two year old belkin.
I dont connect my LAN cables or coax to it though

Yeah there's nothing like a UPS or just a surge strip to help protect your investments. I use a APC UPS and don't have surge related issues.

Asus definitely makes some damn good routers, but the TP-Link Archer C5 and C7 are both harnessing awesome reviews as well (no personal experience with the Archer series, yet). Also, if your current router is less than a year old, it's under the manufacturer's warranty and would be replaced at no cost. Depending on where you bought it, they just give you store credit so you can use that towards a more expensive router that may serve you better.

I've heard of really great things about that Asus RT n66u router, but unfortunetly I've also heard that Asus got dragged into court and they did have to come out with a firmware update to restrict it's output levels. If you can get this router for under $100, then your getting a great deal!

(they worked better than they were supposed too, until they got busted)
Netgear accuses Asus of submitting fraudulent test results to the FCC | PCWorld
Asus's RT-AC66U achieved superiority by defying FCC regulations

http://www.techhive.com/article/289...the-fcc-fined-the-router-maker-last-year.html
As it turns out, Netgear and Asus arrived at a settlement in August 2014, the terms of which were not disclosed. Today, Netgear brought to my attention the fact that Asus had also settled with the FCC in August, admitting that it violated the agency's regulations and paying a $240,000 civil fine.

Last edited:
^ It really doesn't matter about the firmware, since the stock firmware is based on DDWRT (called AsusWRT I believe)...so you can easily move over to straight over DDWRT if you want.

As far as I know the output power level cap is 1 watt. I have some high power access points pumping out a watt each at several hotels. The power levels being that high also make it a pain to place them. Don't want the signal being at eye ball level. I had to place them up in the storage rooms at the ends of the buildings on the second floor. With a flat planar antenna the coverage foot print was more than enough. And once the antennas were aimed properly, our neighbor hotels didn't see our signal.

There's nothing wrong with this router!
It's still a great router, it's just that Asus got caught having higher output level than the FCC stated they should have, and what Asus reported that they do have.... meaning that they out preformed any other routers because of that, it's the reason Netgear pulled Asus into court.
The FCC has forced Asus to cap the output to levels that are mandated by the FCC, so if you can get one of these routers that are one of the originals that were not capped yet, you'll have a superior router

Why does it seem like anytime I post anything I get reply's that I did something negative?
I'm tired of this Sh**t and if you do not want me posting in this place....I'll be more than happy to leave

Back
Top Bottom