Need a new router... again!

MadmanRB

In Runtime
I have been running into some bad luck wit routers lately, in the last two years I have two routers and both have broken down within a year so quality control is an issue to be sure.
So here I go again with this crap, anyone got a good, decently priced router suggestion that works with linux, offers wireless N speeds, has a large coverage area and doesn't coast $300? Like something that costs $100?
Both linksys and netgear I have owned and may try d-link, TRENDnet or some other brand... I can still order online as at least the modem we have works.

I like my Asus RT-n66u. They have newer models out, as well as AC versions...but I haven't had any issues with mine.

I have been running into some bad luck wit routers lately, in the last two years I have two routers and both have broken down within a year so quality control is an issue to be sure.
So here I go again with this crap, anyone got a good, decently priced router suggestion that works with linux, offers wireless N speeds, has a large coverage area and doesn't coast $300? Like something that costs $100?
Both linksys and netgear I have owned and may try d-link, TRENDnet or some other brand... I can still order online as at least the modem we have works.

You want to get a cheap router and your surprised that you have a cheap router?

You want to get a cheap router and your surprised that you have a cheap router?

Well one doesnt expect to pay $100 and get something that craps out in under a year.
I am not a millionaire, I have limited funds so i go with what I can afford.
The most expensive routers are $300 and I dont have that money laying around, hell thats more then my ****ing phone bill I diont have that kind of money all the time for petes sake!
But let me guess if I dont spend $300 I get inferior quality, blah bblah blah....
No meet me in the middle and we can talk but as its stands **** $300 routers I dont care how good they are I need something I can affortd and something in the $100 range is what i can do

Well one doesnt expect to pay $100 and get something that craps out in under a year.
I am not a millionaire, I have limited funds so i go with what I can afford.
The most expensive routers are $300 and I dont have that money laying around, hell thats more then my ****ing phone bill I diont have that kind of money all the time for petes sake!
But let me guess if I dont spend $300 I get inferior quality, blah bblah blah....
No meet me in the middle and we can talk but as its stands **** $300 routers I dont care how good they are I need something I can affortd and something in the $100 range is what i can do

http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY

Even cheaper used / refurb'd.

Just out of curiosity, how old is your surge protector? If you are buying refurbished versus new that may be one reason for the short life. Though most people either don't know or forget that when they buy a surge protector the the Joule rating is a lifetime rating not a per surge rating. In other words they should be replaced every 6 to 12 months and immediately after a surge. This time length of course varies depending on your particular areas power stability and storm tendency.

Just a thought, a lot of times when my members have come to me for a bad item it was usually plugged into a surge protector that was 2+ years old meaning it wasn't protected very well and likely not at all...another weak protection point has been when they don't surge protect their line in to their modem and then connect to the router..

I like my Asus RT-n66u. They have newer models out, as well as AC versions...but I haven't had any issues with mine.

I've had this for a year now with no issues.
I get a steady speed of 120 even though im paying for 100Mbps
Never had a disconnect
I have my tv, ps4,ps3, wiiU, laptop and 2 phones connected to this with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom