home network question

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope. You will just need to find the existing network and connect to it. the DHCP will take care of the rest.

Yes you are correct. Have fun and post back with any further issues.

nope. You will just need to find the existing network and connect to it. the DHCP will take care of the rest.

Yes you are correct. Have fun and post back with any further issues.

Thank you very much again.

Somehow I can't connect. I don't even get the screen asking for the network key???
And at some point I get a message saying No certificate was found to log me into the network.:confused:

EDIT: OK, it is working now. I looked at my g/f's laptop's wireless network set-up configurations repeatedly, and eventhough I thought I ahd set up the configuration on my PC exactly the same, there was one tihng missing. I had to de-activate the IEEE 802.1X Authentification. (whatever that is). So now it's working.
Signal Strenght is not excellent, only good-very good. But I think that might have to do with the fact that the routher is at the otherr end of the appartment (it's not a very big appartment, though). But I am glad it's working so far.

Thanks again, Hefemeister, for all your help.

Next step will be the home-network. I will try that either tonight or tomorrow. :)

I'm installing the home network right now, and I keep running into problems.....

On my new (hodt) PC I have two LAN network connections, one of which I use to access the internet, and the other one to connect to my old PC.

ON the one that acesses to the internet, I tired to tick onto the option 'Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection' but that option does not efvne appear on there:confused:

I does on the other LAN connection (the one that connects to my other PC), so do I check it on there?

Another quesiton I have:

Which elemnts for each LAN connection should I check or uncheck?
Right now for the LAN that connects to the internet I have the following elements activated:

Client Service for NetWare (I don't even know what that is)
Client for Microsoft networks
Service-advertizing protocol
QoS paket-planner
Internet protocol (TCP/IP)

on my other LAN connection (the one that connects to my other PC) I have these elements activated:

Client Service for NetWare
Service-advertizing protocol
File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
QoS paket-planner
Network monitor driver
NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios compatible transportprotocol
Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6

I translated those form German, so I don't know if they are exactly called like that in an English Win XP.
Also, I have no clue what all those elements are supposed to mean.

How can I reset everything and start from scratch. I am afraid I am messing up things here. All of this is pure confusion to me, I wish I hadn't even started with this home network thing:(

Any help would be very much appreciated.

I read the articles, you linked me to, hefemeister, but they did not helrp with my problem I have right now:(

Ok I just want to check where we are at. sorry it has been a few days.

You have what will be the host computer connected to the router wirelessly.

We are working on setting up ICS so that the other computer can connect to the host computer via a crossover cable to share internet with the host.

Both computers are win xp.

Am I correct?

Client service for netware is for novell networks. If you are not connecting to a novell server you do not need it. If you were connecting to a novell server you would know that you are.

Ok I just want to check where we are at. sorry it has been a few days.

You have what will be the host computer connected to the router wirelessly.

We are working on setting up ICS so that the other computer can connect to the host computer via a crossover cable to share internet with the host.

Both computers are win xp.

Am I correct?

Client service for netware is for novell networks. If you are not connecting to a novell server you do not need it. If you were connecting to a novell server you would know that you are.

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it very much!

Right now I am not even sure if I will keep the wireless internet, because of a few problems: one is that the wireless card blocks part of the GPU fan, so I am worried about that. In the end I might decide to get a high quality LAN cable and install it on the edges of the floor/wall to the other room where the router is. (I might install the wireless card in my old PC, but I'm not sure yet).
But either way, this should not matter for the home network whether my host pc receives internet wirelessly or through a LAN cable, right?

So, do I only need the following elemts installed for both LAN connections (one to the router/internet, the other to my old PC):

File and printer sharing for Microsoft networks
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
?

How about the LAN connection on my old PC?

And yes, both PCs are WInXP, the host PC is pro and the othero ne is XP home.

no it will not matter how the host computer gets internet as long as you have two wired ports which is what you would need to share if you end up wiring it.

Although it would be easier to buy a cheap switch, run the cable into the switch by the two computers and connect the two computer to the switch.

We will worry about it if you decide to go that route.

Let see here.

First on the client computer all you should need to do is set it up to obtain ip automatically.

On the host open up network connections from the control panel.
You should see a few.

The one that is connected via wireless do not mess with it it is set up fine as long as you can get internet.

The one that will be the wired connection to the other computer is the one that you will want to "enable Allow other network users to connect..."

You should be able to follow the steps in the links from there to get it running.

Once you get a ways let me know how it is going. I will be online just a little for the next 4 hours and will be on more after then.

no it will not matter how the host computer gets internet as long as you have two wired ports which is what you would need to share if you end up wiring it.

Although it would be easier to buy a cheap switch, run the cable into the switch by the two computers and connect the two computer to the switch.

We will worry about it if you decide to go that route.

Let see here.

First on the client computer all you should need to do is set it up to obtain ip automatically.

On the host open up network connections from the control panel.
You should see a few.

The one that is connected via wireless do not mess with it it is set up fine as long as you can get internet.

The one that will be the wired connection to the other computer is the one that you will want to "enable Allow other network users to connect..."

You should be able to follow the steps in the links from there to get it running.

Once you get a ways let me know how it is going. I will be online just a little for the next 4 hours and will be on more after then.

Thanks !

I will proceed from here and keep you posted!
Can't thank you enough.

Don't thank me until it is running.
;)

No, I gotta thank you either way.

But right now I gotta stop, I been working on this for like 3-4 hours already, no success and very frustrated. I doubt I will get this running. For now I leave it, and I might give it another try in a few days. I think I gotta do more research first. I have to learn about IP adresses, subnets gateways and all that. It's all chinises to me still, and I am probably very naive to think I could install a home network without any kind of basic network knowledge.
I think I have to do some homework first BEFORE even thinking of installing any kind of network on the PC:eek:

Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom