home network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
If I want to connect 2 desktop PCs into a home network, is all I have to do connect them with a network cable and I'm all set? Or is there anytihng esle I need to do?

And if I have that network set up, can I just hook up one of those PCs to the internet (only one has two network connections) and access thwe internet with both PCs through the network?
Is that possible?

The easiest way would be to get a router. This would allow you to network the computers and have internet at each one as well. You could directly connect the two computers with a crossover cable. Then you could share internet if one of the two computers had 2 lan ports but it is more difficult than just getting a router.

The easiest way would be to get a router. This would allow you to network the computers and have internet at each one as well. You could directly connect the two computers with a crossover cable. Then you could share internet if one of the two computers had 2 lan ports but it is more difficult than just getting a router.

Thanks !

Well, I do have a router, and I was going to connect my new PC with a wireless LAN card to get wireless internet.
If I do that, and I connect both PCs with a network cable, could I acess the internet with the other PC as well even if only my new PC is actually connected with wireless LAN card?

Yes you can

Thanks !

Is there anything I need to install software-wise before I do that? Or is it really as simple as hooking up one PC to the internet and then connecting both with each other with a network cable and that's it?

And another question: Would my PCs be more vulnerable to viruses when set up in a network? I mean in case one PC had a virus, the other would get infected right away, too, right?

You hook the internet into the router in the wan port on the router. You need to do some setups on your router if this is not already done. Then you hook the computers to the router either by cable or wireless and you are good to go.

What router do you have?

If you have dsl this is pretty good setup information.
Answer

Thanks ! I appreciate your help ! :)

Another (not directly network related) question I have:
Is it possible for me to use the same keyboard and monitor(s) for both PCs?
Is there something like a "switchboard" that could do this?
I have this tiny little room which is my computer-, music- homerecording room and space is an issue, so if I could connect both PCs to the same keyboard and monitos, that would save me the space of the 2nd PC desk.
Do you know if anything like that is possible at all?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom