home network question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct. We will have to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to accomplish this.

What are the operating systems for the computers in question.

It absolutely can be done the way you want but it will be a bit trickier.

Ideally the best way would be to run a cable from the modem location to where the computers are and hook the router up there. Is there any way to move the location of the modem?

Correct. We will have to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) to accomplish this.

What are the operating systems for the computers in question.

It absolutely can be done the way you want but it will be a bit trickier.

Ideally the best way would be to run a cable from the modem location to where the computers are and hook the router up there. Is there any way to move the location of the modem?

The OS on my old PC is WinXP home and on the new PC it's WinXP professional.

If I was to move either the moden and/or the router close to my room, I would have the exact same problem I was wanting to avoid by gettign a wireless internet: a cable leading from one side of the appartment to the other. Well I could somehow moubnt it to the wall on the floor, but if it is possible not to, I'd prefer gettgin a wireless internet and leave the momden and router in my g/f's office.

If all fails, it would still be no problem to just hook up one PC with the wireless internet, right? I got a Swax wireless LAN PCI card 300 mpbs. I still have to hook it up, though.

Ok the computer that will be sharing it's internet that it receives from the wireless will be the host and the other computer will be the client.

First install the wireless card on the host and get it wirelessly connected to the internet.

Internet Connection Sharing in Microsoft Windows
Take a look at the 3rd picture. That is how yours will be set up except instead of a wire from the router we will be using wireless.

ICS Host Computer Setup in Windows XP
setting up the host.

For the client you will only need to set it up to obtain ip automatically as the host computer will provide it with an ip address. Also covered in step 8.

The one small drawback to this setup is that the host computer will have to be turned on for the client to receive an internet connection.

Ok the computer that will be sharing it's internet that it receives from the wireless will be the host and the other computer will be the client.

First install the wireless card on the host and get it wirelessly connected to the internet.

Internet Connection Sharing in Microsoft Windows
Take a look at the 3rd picture. That is how yours will be set up except instead of a wire from the router we will be using wireless.

ICS Host Computer Setup in Windows XP
setting up the host.

For the client you will only need to set it up to obtain ip automatically as the host computer will provide it with an ip address. Also covered in step 8.

The one small drawback to this setup is that the host computer will have to be turned on for the client to receive an internet connection.

Thanks so much!:)

Yes, I was aware of that that the host computer will have to be on for the other one to receive internet. but that's not a big problem, since this new Pc will be used most of the time, I just want to use the other PC for some work-related stuff and for e-mailing.

Start setting it up with those directions. Come back as you run into issues. Also please let me know when it is working so I know the instructions were helpful.

Start setting it up with those directions. Come back as you run into issues. Also please let me know when it is working so I know the instructions were helpful.

Ok, cool !

I will do that.

I might do that later tonight if I have time left, I am practicng now for a few hours.

Thank you very much for your help in this as well as in all the other threads!!!

EDIT: oh, I totally forgot, I can't set the network up yet sice I don't have a crossover cable. Gotta buy one this week, so I will probably set up the network (or try to set it up) in the weekend.

Hi,

So I finally started connecting tihngs here and I am running into problems already at the first stage:

I installed the PCI wireless LAN card, and the one tihng that worries me a bit about it is there was only one PCI slot available, and that one is right next to the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 4870) and it is right infront of the cooler fan of the graphics card covering about one fourth of it. So, I installed it anyway, but I am a bit unsure whether this might cause problems for the graphics card and/or the wireless LAN card. Well, this is actually a problem I might open a new thread about in the hardware section.

Anyway, I have the LAN card installed and I am trying to get internet access. I have a router in my home which is already providing a wireless network, that my g/f uses for her laptop.
So, I thought, I can just use the same network, right? Or do I need to configure a new one?
Since the router is already set up, I thought, I only need to get into that exisiting network and I'm set. Is that correct?

When I tried to get into the network, I got a message that there was no certificate found to let me use the network. It did not even aks me for a network key.

Can anybody help me here? I am such a noob with this....:confused:

Thanks in advance,

Lars

Once the drivers are installed you should be able to plug it in and run.

Worst case you may have to go into the adapter properties and set tcp/ip to get ip automatically but that should be the default.

Once the drivers are installed you should be able to plug it in and run.

Worst case you may have to go into the adapter properties and set tcp/ip to get ip automatically but that should be the default.

Thanks. But am I correct that I don't have to install anything from the router on my PC, since the wireless network already exists?
Or do I really need to make a new netwprk for each computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom