Company-based helpdesk - what to expect?

ITguy

Beta member
I'm going to the second tour of entrance tryout for help-desk that is focused on companies. I.e. it does not serve people at home, it only serves companies, there's 200 or so of them they serve.

What should I expect working there? What kind of questions? There should not be "my password doesn't work," I don't think. What should I do if I don't know the answer and I'm on the phone with the customer?

What should I try and do (learn) by the time the second tryout comes? It'll be a simulation of what I would have to do if I was a help-desk guy.

Depends on what you are supporting. Are you supporting a specific program that all these companies have? Are you supporting their infrastructure?

Depends on what you are supporting. Are you supporting a specific program that all these companies have? Are you supporting their infrastructure?

Nothing specific, I'd be receiving calls and emails from the companies, they can ask me anything.

Ahh, do you have access to their systems? Like back end stuff like Active Directory or Print Servers?

I am not sure, as far as I know, it'll be emails and phone calls. And the guy said "problem solving" not "administrating" but that's word-details and some people don't use them deliberately. I was also asked how my web programming skills are - HTML, PHP, SQL, Javascript, but that may have been just a general question.

What should I expect working there? What kind of questions? There should not be "my password doesn't work," I don't think. What should I do if I don't know the answer and I'm on the phone with the customer?

What should I try and do (learn) by the time the second tryout comes? It'll be a simulation of what I would have to do if I was a help-desk guy.

Depending on the services that the company offers and the duties of the help desk, you may get calls about people's passwords not working.

Most calls received by the service center at my job are not able to be resolved right away over the phone so we use a ticketing system to track and assign each case. Issues will range from individual password resets to network reconfigurations for entire corporate offices. Most of it will be general troubleshooting and administrative tasks.

I am not sure, as far as I know, it'll be emails and phone calls. And the guy said "problem solving" not "administrating" but that's word-details and some people don't use them deliberately. I was also asked how my web programming skills are - HTML, PHP, SQL, Javascript, but that may have been just a general question.

In your case it sounds like they want to see how you do at actually solving the issues yourself rather than using a ticketing system. I went through something similar in an interview that I had; in my case it wasn't just a matter of whether or not I knew how to fix it, it was also how I would guide the caller through the process, explaining highly technical things to someone who knew nothing about it in way where the caller could at least follow the needed steps.

Depending on the services that the company offers and the duties of the help desk, you may get calls about people's passwords not working.

Most calls received by the service center at my job are not able to be resolved right away over the phone so we use a ticketing system to track and assign each case. Issues will range from individual password resets to network reconfigurations for entire corporate offices. Most of it will be general troubleshooting and administrative tasks.

I don't think I would be dealing with reconfigurations, that should be left to those with cars or maybe Level 2 support or something like that.

But anyway, ticketing would be useful, I could just create a ticket or I didn't know the answer to their question and take my time to read up and answer. I hope they have that, if I'll get the job.

In your case it sounds like they want to see how you do at actually solving the issues yourself rather than using a ticketing system. I went through something similar in an interview that I had; in my case it wasn't just a matter of whether or not I knew how to fix it, it was also how I would guide the caller through the process, explaining highly technical things to someone who knew nothing about it in way where the caller could at least follow the needed steps.

I wonder if I will have to do the same, I had that idea actually. I hope not, not used to interacting in a formal manner, especially when it comes to computers. Usually if someone I know calls me, I have the right answer and the call's done, and I don't have to say "Hello sir, Greg speaking, please state your problem" and "please try restarting your computer sir." I'm not used to the fake unnecessary time-wasting niceties, I think I'd need a few calls to get a grip on it. I spoke with support guys on live chats for online-related things, I always wanted them to just be quick and direct with me, save the 20 "please," "could" and "sir..."

Back
Top Bottom