dell 9310 why so hard to upgrade windows?

raverx3m

Daemon Poster
whats so special about these dell laptops? it seems impossible to get it to do any kind of windows upgrade or even reinstall

im running into constant issues

its been a while since i had to do this and im outdated on teh latest microsoft bottlenecks

can anyoen explain what im dealing with here?
the media driver missing during install when raid is enabled.( does having the actual driver on bootable usb help?) i couldnt get that from other forums

is there a built in windows license in these laptops that keeps reverting to windows home by default and wont let me upgrade to pro edition?
nothing seems to work when i try to upgrade to pro.

im using media creation tool to reinstall

should i use something else instead and download specifically windows 11 pro so it only install pro?
im not sure what to do because i spend 2 days trying to get this to work and its rather frustrating.
im starting to genuinely understand all the villains in the comic books and how they became what they are after dealing with constant bottlenecks in todays technology( which supposed to make our lifes easier) instead it traps us in constant troubleshooting and customer support loops

whats so special about these dell laptops? it seems impossible to get it to do any kind of windows upgrade or even reinstall

im running into constant issues

its been a while since i had to do this and im outdated on teh latest microsoft bottlenecks

can anyoen explain what im dealing with here?
the media driver missing during install when raid is enabled.( does having the actual driver on bootable usb help?) i couldnt get that from other forums

is there a built in windows license in these laptops that keeps reverting to windows home by default and wont let me upgrade to pro edition?
nothing seems to work when i try to upgrade to pro.

im using media creation tool to reinstall

should i use something else instead and download specifically windows 11 pro so it only install pro?
im not sure what to do because i spend 2 days trying to get this to work and its rather frustrating.
im starting to genuinely understand all the villains in the comic books and how they became what they are after dealing with constant bottlenecks in todays technology( which supposed to make our lifes easier) instead it traps us in constant troubleshooting and customer support loops
Your Dell is great and it's a breeze to upgrade. Also, you generally don't have to do anything else to switch from the Home version to the Pro version, other than entering the general key of the pro version (then the update will be done without an internet connection and the system will be activated again after the update is finished when the internet is enabled again) or by entering a valid Pro version key - then not needed internet disconnection. And everything else is done automatically by your existing system. You are talking about two days when all this takes less than 10 minutes and this is maximum.
And all this is not called an upgrade, but to enabling the features of the pro version, and there is no need to install them, they are already on your computer. So it is only necessary to enable them.
If all this is so difficult for you, then it would be wise to use the help of an expert, hopefully there is someone in your area who can do such a simple things.

the key i got says i can only use it during fresh install
it doesnt work when upgrading from windows home

what about the raid option in bios?
it was on by default. i tried to read about it but its like reading forums about domestic vs import cars.
everyone just starts defending theri position and nothing is agreed on

what about the raid option in bios?
it was on by default. i tried to read about it but its like reading forums about domestic vs import cars.
everyone just starts defending theri position and nothing is agreed on
No BIOS changes are required to switch from Home to Pro. Leave that BIOS alone, and if you've already changed something there, restore the original settings before it's too late.
And there are really keys that can only be used to install a certain version, but not to activate it. Such keys are called Generic Product Keys and you can use the Pro Generic product key, I already told you about it, but it will not activate the Pro version.
But I will tell you again and now directly - it can be seen that you know absolutely nothing about computer matters and it would be much wiser to let an expert do it. Like I said, it all takes less than 10 minutes and it's all automatic. You don't have to invent anything, it's all already there and it's already there on your computer. You only must enable it all and nothing not needed install or reinstall. All is already there in your laptop.
If you want, search for "Upgrade from Home to Pro" and you'll find thousands of guides because it's been exactly the same since Windows 8.
On Windows 7 the procedure was very little different, but really very little different on some steps, basically the same.

yes it worked every time until this laptop
been building and troubleshooting pcs since 97
except i havent done any of it for last 5 years because ive been focusing on something else
and i havent kept up with the latest workarounds while "doing this simple windows install"
nothing i foudn in guides worked
i finally found one generic license that worked after trying different ones for about 2 hours. and it shows activated for whatever reason so i left it alone...
you really not understanding what i was asking ..

ahci. this laptop has raid enabled by default
which also didnt work when using sd card.
even with raid disabled it did not install from sd card only from usb stick
and then i had to bypass 3 more bottlenecks to even get to installation
after that it defaulted to home edition again.
and would not let me input license for pro durign install.
this feels like im back on windows 98 havign to modify half of the installation disk for it to install properly

Back
Top Bottom