Old laptop will not turn on (dropped)

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_jester

Beta member
Hey there,

This is probably a common question, but I can't seem to find much of an answer as how to actually go about solving it on a Google search, so I thought I would ask here instead and see what you guys think.

I have an old (four-five years?) "Fujitsu Siemens" computer, Amilo M3438G made in germany, and due to it being dropped three years ago it has refused to work since. The only reason I am trying to resurrect this dead piece now is curiosity and a sudden sprout of free time after clearing out the garage for a sale :p

Now it's current state is that the charger works fine, but it seems to have no effect in charging up the battery or powering laptop itself. In trying to turn the laptop on you'll see just for a moment the battery light blink as you release the button (with or without the battery in), the duration of which it stays on is longer if you hold down before releasing.

I tried a hard reset with no luck. Not yet having a chance to open it out, but I plan to do that a little later on in the week with free time. The laptop itself was dropped on the bottom left corner, where there is a small crack in the casing, as you would see it if you had the thing open in front of you.

Would be nice to hear others thoughts on this. I'm not expecting miracle cures, but perhaps some ideas on how (if it could) this can be solved.
Thanks!

:lol:

Have to look on the inside, if the board is damaged it probably won't be easy to fix. If a cable came loose or a connector isn't lining up properly it might be an easy fix. Laptops do often use board-to-board connectors that could be pulled apart by a damaged case.

Old laptop cases are rather sturdy. Must have just dislodged a cable.

Normally, to take it apart, you need to pry open the top, where the power button is.

Ah I see.
Well considering I have not been sniffing about inside yet that might be the case. When I crack the thing open soon I'll let you know what I find - if I find anything. I have done this to other laptops before, so it should be the same routine on this one I guess.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the crack itself on the edge of the case is directly beside where the Hard Drive is held, if that makes any difference (which I am not sure it does if it can't even turn on).

[edit]
Ahh, I think I have hit trouble.

The Amilo M3438G is a little different in that you can take it all apart from the bottom under the removable panels, but to get to the rest of the wires I need to remove the heatsink as part of the process.

To note, I have been following this: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/3438.html following further down the page the part where he begins to dissemble the laptop. Though it seems I have to do a little operation to get the heatsink off, would it be a safe bet to do this? With newer models I have never had to deal with the heatsink directly before to get into the thing further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom