Upgrading Old Computer- Please help

Mo_Le

Beta member
Hello!
I recently came into possession of an Optiplex 380. It did not boot up when I tried, so I took it apart. I found everything mostly in order, however the RAM was not inserted in its slot, and does not fit in. I am guessing that either the Ram is broken and doesn't work, or the motherboard is worn out. It didn't matter much to me, since I wanted to get a new motherboard anyways.

The specs I found installed are as follows (I did copy/paste these, as I don't quite understand every abbreviation of each part. Sorry if some of these don't make sense):
Intel pentium dual core E5800
225W Minitower Base Standard PSU
320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s and 16MB Data Burst Cache- (HDD)
2GB,Non-ECC,1333MHz DDR3,1x2GB RAM
Motherboard 01TkCC

It also has a mainstream heatsink, and what I am assuming is a dvd player. I would ideally like to replace some parts to be able to play light games, and to use writing applications (plus some applications for college). Would any of you guys on here recommend certain parts, and would it be better to just buy a brand new computer tower? Optimally, I want to avoid paying a lot of money for a good computer, and end up with one that will last at least 5 years.
If you need more specs of this computer, I found a link to what seems to be the original mini tower manual. https://www.dell.com/support/home/e.../0-SXM3YUw2dENWREdKOFFSRTRka0ZwUT090/overview

The pc your posting about is already 10+ yrs or more old.
Dell has a support web site for upgrades on that pc and reading that will help you make the best decision for cpu, memory...etc.
Dell upgrade link
Here is a link for the Dell Specs on your pc. That poor 'ol dog can only handle 4gb of memory
Optiplex 380 specs

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom