Linux for Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
I checked the recommended distro thread but I would like a personalised responce for what is best for me. I know about computers and windows. I've tried Fedora 1-4, damn small linux, Solaris 9-10. I can't say any were for me. Is there a Linux you would recommend for a noob to the linux world.

O.K budddy,

The main question is "what do you want to use it for" are you going to Dual boot?

For Basic Use I'd Reccomend Ubuntu first up. It is small unclutterd and simple to use. Access to Root terminal. Great for Basic Word processing, and basic office tasks and command line.

The Next step Up is Slackware. This is A bigger distro with more complex layout. Very good for the more in depth linux user. Able to do the basics but you can also re-configure, and do more complex comand line stuff.

I would recomend Ubuntu over slackware simply due to it is eaiser to use... Once you have mastered the Basics then move onto slackware

Try the Live Versions first:

Ubuntu Live:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

Slackware Live

http://slax.linux-live.org/download.php

Hope this Helps,

Jake

macdude425 said:
I would consider trying Mandriva (formerly Mandrake)

NO, you have to PAY for Mandriva, that defeats the whole purpose of Linux, Go with Another distro, there are so many others out there!

Jake

I hate to point this out but as Linux gets more popular you will get groups wanting you to pay.

Red Hat
Fedora
Mandriva
SuSe
And more I don't know

Whatchu talkin bout Willis? ;)

Mandriva Free Downloads

While true that Mandriva does have Commercial & Corporate packs for sale they also maintain free editions for download from over a hundred mirrors.

Goto "Download from public FTP mirrors". :)

edit- What's wrong with Distros that sell their products? No one ever said that open-source meant free. There are literally hundreds of Distros to choose from. A few enterprising companies will not hurt Linux in any way, in fact it helps Linux.

I agree with the above poster.

Remember, Open source means free as in free speech, not as in free beer, to badly paraphrase. ;)

I disagree with both Tribalsun, and theheadFL Why PAY for A linux Distro ie Mandriva when there are other Free Linux out there, there is A knock off of Mandriva (reworked Distro) Here is A breif discription:

http://librenix.com/?inode=4314

Orriginally posted by Tribalsun:

While true that Mandriva does have Commercial & Corporate packs for sale they also maintain free editions for download from over a hundred mirrors.

Do they still have the Live CD .iso availible?

Jake

Yes, Mandriva Move, the live CD of Mandriva is available near the bottom on the same download page.

Allow me to clarify my reasoning about commercial Linux distros being good for Linux. Firstly, I have no problems with anyone wanting to receive monetary compensation for their work. Most distros have volunteers working on them while others such as Mandriva and Redhat are a corporation with a dedicated paid staff of employees.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that commercial editions are better or worse then their free counter-parts. The great thing about Linux is that their is a distro for almost everyones differing needs. This is where commercial distros come into play. I would not pay for a distro myself as the free distros suit mine and just about every other home or single user just fine.

Companies and corporations however are not going to dedicate and entire infrastructure to someones "hobby" distro. They want and need the support from companies like Mandriva and want the confidence that they are not going to be abandoned with no support. Commercial distros offer that support and are made specifically with the large business/corporate uses in mind. Without that support and confidence from larger commercial distros Linux will never stand a chance in the corporate world.

So yes, I agree and would not pay for Linux myself as a home user. If I had a business to run however I'm going to want the support that commercial distros offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom