Linux for Noob

Status
Not open for further replies.
you should really consider running a live cd first.. mepis comes to mind as a good distro and easy to install once you like it :D

ubuntu has a nice live cd as well, ditto with knoppix..

good luck :D

Mandrake 10.1 is still availabe free. Iused it for quite a while before going to FC4. I highly recomend it.

Tyler1989 said:
I would like a personalised responce for what is best for me.
From your posts you obviously have an interest in the more in depth side of pc's and operating systems. Mandriva is a good choice for those who want a distro that's simple to install and just works. For you I think Kubuntu would be a great place to start, you get a kde desktop, which is IMHO way better than gnome and with synaptic you get easy access to thousands of packages.
And if you don't like it, just try another one. Most 'nix user's I know have tried and continue to try just about every major or popular release that appears. Sooner or later you'll find you're leaning towards a certain type of distro, there's plenty to choose from!

i personally would choose ubuntu and later use apt-get kubuntu-desktop.. as installing ubuntu gives you more software (as i found out later when i did an apt-get ubuntu-desktop).. and synaptic is not installed with kubuntu, as it's a gnome based software..

furtivefelon said:
i personally would choose ubuntu and later use apt-get kubuntu-desktop.. as installing ubuntu gives you more software (as i found out later when i did an apt-get ubuntu-desktop).. and synaptic is not installed with kubuntu, as it's a gnome based software..

Furtivefelon,

I don't understand why you Like Kbuntu so much, I've used it and found it cramped, Loads off Apps you don't need And difficult to Navigate, Granted that the KDE desktop looks more "professional" The Gnome Desktop is more simplistic, great for learning Linux, with none of the Mess I think I'll stck with Ubuntu 5.04.

Jake

Furtivefelon - Kubuntu installs kynaptic with which you can install synaptic...

As for too much or too little software, synaptic makes installing and uninstalling apps trivial. A quick search of the ubuntu forums for extra sources for your sources list will give you access to the vast majority of software ever written for linux.

Greyfox - Debian is good but hardly suitable for newbies, K/Ubuntu gives you a more up to date and easier to install version, while it may not be as stable or secure as debian proper it's far more suitable for desktop use and has the benefit of an active and much more noob friendly support community.

popey said:
Furtivefelon - Kubuntu installs kynaptic with which you can install synaptic...

As for too much or too little software, synaptic makes installing and uninstalling apps trivial. A quick search of the ubuntu forums for extra sources for your sources list will give you access to the vast majority of software ever written for linux.

again, i'm just taking by the fact that he consider himself as "noob", by defination that's someone doesn't know too much about a particular subject.. so i want to make it as painless as possible (which means getting the "more software rich" download, and i personally find synaptic that much better than kynaptic)..

Originally posted by jakec
Furtivefelon,

I don't understand why you Like Kbuntu so much, I've used it and found it cramped, Loads off Apps you don't need And difficult to Navigate, Granted that the KDE desktop looks more "professional" The Gnome Desktop is more simplistic, great for learning Linux, with none of the Mess I think I'll stck with Ubuntu 5.04.

well, the whole point of getting Kubuntu is for kde :| and that's the point of making it in the first place.. i find kde a much smooth transition from windows than gnome is.. so that's why i'm recommending it..

granted, i now know enough about unix to get around in console, so i usually just use fluxbox or some lightweight window manager.. but kde i find is much easier on beginners :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom