Xbox 720 Will Be Six Times as Powerful as Current Gen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres no reason they wouldnt do that with a new format, infact, it would be easier to prevent piracy with a proprietary format as it would be as easy to access as a DVD disk or a Blu Ray
There are loads of ROMs available from the early consoles. I'm sure it wouldn't take long for people to crack it.

IMO a flash based solution is just the smarter way to go. The way of the disc is TOO DAMN SLOW!! I don't play console due to how slow loading from a disc is.

I think it would be cool if we went back to cartridges, but, at the same time, I want my console to play blurays. The cost decrease would be nice from not having a bluray drive, but my ps3 breaks all the time, and I need something new and reliable.

If they went digital only, you can bet your rear end that piracy will become rampant. It is not hard to sign into, nor create an emu server and network. Anyone remember the old Xbox Live emu networks? What about the WoW emus? Every time a company really tries to push hard into a digital only setup, piracy becomes rampant because no one wants to pay $60 for something they can't have. (I would NEVER be able to legitly download a full copy of Halo 4+ on the new xbox if it was digital only).

So then get a bluray player or a BD Rom? I'm not hating on you or anything, but in general I think people trying to use consoles for other than gaming is just killing the purpose to begin with.

So then get a bluray player or a BD Rom? I'm not hating on you or anything, but in general I think people trying to use consoles for other than gaming is just killing the purpose to begin with.
Having an all-in-one system that performs many functions is something a lot of people want.
People use consoles as media centres a lot.

A lot of people still have trouble understanding which remote they need to use or how to switch between different AV inputs.

It isnt so much the remote, but the ease of use. Why should I go out and buy a Roku box to stream Netflix and Hulu Plus to my TV when my PS3 already does that? Why spend an additional $80 on something that can already be done with what I already own.

They are not Gaming Consoles anymore. Go ahead and look at the PS3 site. The first thing you see as far as bundle packs sold, is the Harry Potter 3D Movie Experience pack. Scroll down further and you will see them talk about how your PS3 is your source for Entertainment. They call them Entertainment Systems now. I have yet to hear the PS3 called JUST a gaming console. But I do hear and see advertisements about it being the Playstation 3 Entertainment System, just like the XBOX 360 is called and Entertainment System.

So maybe it isnt the users who want to do these other things with their device that have to change their mindset but you guys? Not hating or anything but when the company that makes the product is pushing it as an entertainment device, it is not wrong of us to use it as such. It is not wrong of us to think that we can use it to play or games, online content and movies all in 1 unit, when that is exactly what the manufacturers promote and tell us to do.

The NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Playstation, TurboGFX16, Sega Master System, Sega Genesis, NeoGeo and Atari were all Gaming Consoles. But the Wii, PS2, PS3 and XBOX 360 are far from that. They are media centers, which is exactly why they built their custom software with such options. If they didnt want us to use it for that purpose, then they wouldnt give us the option. Just like they didnt give us such options with the original Playstation.

Here is the same line of thinking. You can ONLY use your PC for email. You are not allowed to use a browser, watch a movie or do anything else but read and write emails from now on. Is it that people are killing PC's cause they use them for to many purposes and that is why smart phones and tablets are starting to trend upward in usage? Of course not.

There is no way I could ever agree that just cause I use my Playstation 3 for its intended purpose that I am killing the purpose to begin with. They advertise and promote such things. They made it this way. If the PS3 wasnt able to do these things, then I would have gotten a Roku box. But since it can it makes no sense to waste $80 for no reason other than to keep the dead idea of a strictly gaming console alive.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. The people who want to play games are held back by the people who want to buy a console originally thought for games and use it for media. That is why you hear people say "Oh the SNES was so much better. Attention was on the gameplay". They were game consoles, and the masses viewed them as such. Somewhere between 2005 and now people decided it was a great idea to ditch their DVD players, TV's, whatever and decide we are going to use this Xbox for movies and music! Now all the console developers are concentrating on those people and the gamers are getting the backseat yawning with rehashes. PC gaming has been held back since the day our hardware started becoming 2x more powerful than that of the current gen consoles. I'm not saying it is wrong that the developers want to make money where money can be made. Hence why I said I'm not hating, but I'm just so tired of "others" ruining it for the gamers. Consoles used to be for us to enjoy, now we are the backburner to entertain and streaming HD movies is more important with a pretty interface. That is why I'm hoping the next Xbox will ditch optical media as to me it will be viewed as more of a gaming console. Whoever wants an all in one can either use a PC, their Playstation, or get the 100 dollar non-gaming Xbox Microsoft is developing for casual gaming and media.

The people who want to play games can still do that. I know plenty of people that own an XBOX 360, Wii or a PS3 and do nothing with it but play games.

It is not the users fault that the game developers and the console developers are switching their focus to making the devices multimedia. If my XBOX 360, Wii nor my PS3 could do the things it could do, I would purchase a Roku box for use with streaming Netflix and Hulu+ on my TV.

PC Gamers suffer more from pirates than from anything else. I mean I can go onto any gaming news site and read articles that talk about how a developer is refusing to make a PC version of the game or the next release wont be on PC cause of the rampant piracy. Of all the people that pirate games, what % would you say actually go out and buy the game cause they like it? If developers are lucky you are looking at 25% of the people that pirate a game go out and buy it. That is being kind. It is for such reasons that Steam and Origin are starting to become the normal places to find new PC games so developers can try to stave off the piracy aspect.

I can understand your frustration, but you are aiming it at the wrong people. It was not my choice to use my Wii/PS3/XBOX 360 as a multimedia center. I do so cause it had the options built in. I am in no way at fault, nor is anyone else that uses the devices for multimedia purposes, that we do this. We do it for the simplicity. It is saving me money and allowing me to do what I want. But it is only cause Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft included such features. If they did not, I would have found another way to do what I wanted, as people do. Be it stream from my PC or get a Roku Box or however I could accomplish the goal.

You say your not hating, but you are. You are hating on those of us that use the device for what it was intended and made for. You are mad at Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft from getting away from the purpose of a home gaming console and taking it out on us. You saying it is our fault that these devices are not taken away from their intended purpose, when we are only doing what the people who designed and created the device want us to do with it.

I just dont understand how someone like myself can be blamed for ruining it for gamers. I still play games on my devices. I still buy games and play them, as much if not more than I do other things with my devices. I am not the one making the games or the machines they run on. I am merely using the tools provided to me to accomplish what I want. Anyone can use the devices how they please. If you want to use it as a strictly gaming console, you can.

Mak, I couldn't agree with you more. I use my PS3 for music, movies, GAMES, video chat, etc. Why? Because Sony made it for that. I still play games more than anything on it, but it's great having an all in one. What's this about console piracy? The last time I tried to "unlock" my PS3, I spent 6 hours trying to do so, and still failed. Granted, that's not piracy, and I know such talk is prohibited on TF, but I wanted to make a point. They have the consoles pretty tied down at this point, and they can only get more secure with the next release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom