Wiring new construction for cat 6

Zenica

Beta member
Hello Everyone,

As you can see, I am new here. I searched Bing for home networking/cat 6 forums and this was the best hit.

We purchased a home in Pennsburg, rather we purchased the land and are having a home constructed on it. The home builder partners with Guardian Protection Services for the running of networking cable and home audio/video cables.

I am going to meet with their rep next week but as an example the home builder gave me some specs and prices another client of theirs paid.

He described 5 locations with networking, 5 locations with A/V and 5 locations with something I hadn't heard of. These would have been wired while the home was built and didn't have any sheet rock in place. It wouldn't have had any other impediments either for that matter. That client paid $11,000 now granted I don't recall what the unknown thing was.

This seems insanely high to me. My research suggests that each NOC in an already built home will average $100 to $300 depending on difficulty so even at the extreme, it should have been half of that amount.

I'm getting myself ready for a fight with Guardian and possibly Ryan, the home builder if they give me flack about me bringing in someone else that charges earthly prices.

The home is 5000 sq feet and I'm going to want cat 6 in all bedrooms, the office, the kitchen, the basement, the garage and the morning room.

I will want all of these rooms to terminate in a closet where I can put a router/server/cable model. What would you expect is a fair charge for this in Montgomery County PA? Would you wait until after the house is built?

Thank you in advance for your insight and thoughts.

definitely do it before the drywall goes up.
A 5000 sq ft house is a good size home, so take that into account.
I do not see any reason that your contractor shouldn't be able to get a second estimate for your wiring job from another person
I will want all of these rooms to terminate in a closet where I can put a router/server/cable model. What would you expect is a fair charge for this in Montgomery County PA? Would you wait until after the house is built?
Impossible to give a guestimate on something like that without looking at the house plans. Does this job require installing audio speakers in each room and outside too?
Waiting till after the house is built will cost even more to wire, it takes a lot more work to run wiring after the drywall is up than it is before. Most wiring I've seen would be run to a mechanical room where the heating/cooling and water heaters are, Or in an area where modems/routers/switches/alarm systems/coax and other security can be mounted

Last edited:
If it's a prewire, find a local alarm company to come out and give you an estimate. Alarm companies that do prewire jobs have all the gear to do it right.
You might have them wire your phones and TV coax while they're in there. Lord knows, I've done my share of them.

Back
Top Bottom