Windows crashed, "system volume corrupt", cant find the SSD with windows install

iguanaonastick

Baseband Member
Was mid-gaming when suddenly pc froze and bluescreened, and it said that memory dump failed.
Afterwards it refused to boot up to windows - it gets to the "black" windows loading screen, after which blue screen flickers for ~0.5 seconds then it shuts down and goes back to boot.

During startup repair it said that system volume was corrupt - it also cannot see my SSD drive.

My current setup:
SSD drive, 120gb, with windows install and very few program files etc. I also have a system image of it saved on external HDD.
1TB HDD, personal files
1TB HDD, personal files

All 3 (+DVD drive) can be seen by bios, and chosen as boot option. However neither startup repair, nor the windows install disk (i use win 7 64 pro) can even see the SSD drive.
I even manually did dir a: dir b: etc, and it can only find:
1) the dvd drive
2) the x drive which it says is a boot drive (probably system reserved partition. it does not have C: files)
3) the 2 1tb drives

I tried unplugging and replugging the sata cables, did not fix the issue.
When doing chkdsk, no errors are found on any of the visible drives
when doing SFC /scannow, i get a message saying that there is a system repair pending - even when launching from a win7 install disk.
bootrec.exe /fixmbr = operation successful
bootrec.exe /fixboot = volume does not contain recognized file system

Upon entering the repair ui,, it shows that i have no windows installations on the machine (probably because it cant see the SSD drive)
When trying to restore from image, i can use my recent system image of the SSD drive (which i saved on the external HDD just for a case like this), however i dont want to do it as i think it will try to install it on one of the "visible" drives rather than the SSD drive it cant see.

When trying to run a windows memory diagnostic (just in case) i get error saying "windows cannot check for memory problems - an error is preventing windows from checking for memory problems during startup. To run the windows memory diagnostic manually, boot the computer from the Windows installation disc, and then select windows memory diagnostic from the windows boot manager menu", however i get this message while ALREADY booting from the win7 install dvd.

Any thoughts?

Edit: upon trying to boot in safe mode, drivers load about halfway before freezing and going back to boot
Edit 2: SSD is OCZ 120GB VERTEX 2 SATA II ULTRA FAST SANDFORCE SSD DRIVE

you can see if you can attempt to reset the drive by using Secure Erase and a firmware update if you need it.
OCZ has a guide here
NEW! - Bootable tools for OCZ SSD's

of course Secure Erase will wipe the drive so be sure your back up is good first

But can this be performed without booting into windows? because as i have stated, my windows install IS on that SSD drive... and i doubt i can connect to internet to update firmware without accessing windows...
Unless this tool can be used to boot the computer AND provide a limited OS with internet connectivity?

They have a linux .iso boot disk with the software already on it. Just burn the .iso to a disk (use your favorite .iso burning program) and boot your pc with it. Please read the guide

if you do not have anything to burn the .iso to a disk you can get ".iso burner" for free
http://www.freeisoburner.com/

After running a few checks through ubuntu, it turns out that my SSD might be failing.
I performed a secure erase, and am in process of restoring a system image... lets see if it works

Back
Top Bottom