Windows 7 page file

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubFusion

In Runtime
I just upgraded my ram to 8gb. I feel like I've heard somewhere that you don't need to adjust the paging file. Is this so? If not what's the formula for calculating the max and minimum? Ive used the 1.5x - 3.0x your actual memory size. Thanks!

You dont have to adjust the pagefile. You could leave it as what you had set before. But this could cause slowdown on your machine. I usually just do 1.5X the amount of RAM I have. The number I heard most often used is double the RAM. But that is kinda overkill if you ask me. You will never use that much ever.

If you have 8GB of RAM and a 16GB Pagefile, I dont see how someone could use 24GB worth of RAM on a PC. Ever. There is no program or group of programs that could possibly be run currently that would even get close to causing that setup to slowdown. The CPU would crap out long before you would run into Memory errors.

I just let the system handle the page file. The way I see it is with 8GB of ram, or more, the system will probably never access the page file so why worry about it. But I do have a page file as the system will crash if it does happen to use up all the ram.

In the old days you couldn't get enough performance, tweaking everything was necessary for top performance. Nowadays even a mid-grade system is capable of good performance without a full system tweak.

Mak, remember when 512kb of ram was more than enough? ;) Some day we will be using gigabytes of RAM.

I remember so far back that 32MB was considered massive. So yeah I do remember back then. I also know that it took almost 30 years to reach the point where 4GB is normal and 8GB is considered alot. So for 24 GB to become normal and daily use will still be a bit away. Some day yes. Right now, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom