why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The differences

I, personally, am indifferent on this issue.

There are so many advantages and disadvantages that the holy trinity (Windows, OSX, and Linux) of OSÂ’s can bring, that I find myself using a mixture of all three to get done what I need to get done.

(Very briefly): When I use the different OSÂ’s:

Windows: (XP/NT only, of course :D ) When I need to really know whatÂ’s going on behind the scenes, but donÂ’t have time to create the backstage to do the work, only time to manipulate it, Windows pays off - bigtime. Mac OS developers go to a great deal of unnecessary trouble to hide the many features of the OS, in the GUI, from the end-user. I usually donÂ’t have time to crack or develop the GUI to my liking, sometimes I just want to work with what it gives me. On the other hand, Linux is way too dependent on an individuals own dedication of their much-needed time in this regard.

OSX: (Note the nil-mention of OS9 - Apple isn’t manufacturing their new machines without the ability to boot into OS9 because they feel like it, it is seriously time to move on, people!): I have to admit, Apple computers are a pleasure to look at, but, in my opinion, looks aren’t what make a PC - functionality does. And in many key areas, Apple certainly doesn’t hesitate to bring it (But they could slash their prices a heck of a lot if they got rid of all their fancy cosmetics :p I know, I know, that would shatter their whole marketing strategy and cause massive heartbreak and uproar among their most dedicated users). Getting back on topic, I mainly use Apple when working with the stereotypical ‘Video Authoring’ features which the company provides (Namely FCP). You can’t go wrong with a piece of software designed specifically to run on the same computer as which the software company is owned (Just so long as everything inside of your hardware is Apple branded, including ram - since Apple is notorious for third party hardware conflicts).

Linux: Three words: open-source fileserver. :) Linux brings together all the elusive file serving capabilities you will need into one convenient package. Sure OSX is Unix based, and Apache will run on Windows, but no open source operating system brings it all together quite like Linux. OSX and OSX server can try, but for maximum serving performance on a pipeline that requires it, look no further than Linux.

Oh, and just to stir up a little controversy (as if I havenÂ’t all ready created enough :D):

MacÂ’s are *not* more stable than PCÂ’s (Post Windows XP/NT - Yes, I admit, MacÂ’s are more stable than Windows 95/98, and hands-down more than ME, but not XP/NT). Since there are many more of them, doing many more things, and people will be people, you run the risk of many more PC users of the XP/NT based operating systems doing many more simply less caring and cohesive things on their computers, breaching the inherent stability level of which they once did provide.

And no, Mac’s are *not* “less susceptible to viruses." Yes, folks, let it be known (heh, all personal opinion here) there are simply more PC’s out there than Macs and with more users come more malicious users, all applying their free time to the unfortunate design of publicly malicious programs. If there were as many Macs as there were PC’s, there would most probably be an equal or very close number of viruses for both, as well.

And finally, no, Linux is not non-user friendly; it just throws a slightly more arched learning-curve to the unsuspecting newbie. Anyone who is even a tad bit of a curious person will appreciate the different look and feel of the revamped Linux GUI’s (Mandrake, Suse, and even Redhat). They are very straight forward, and once you get past the mental block of most every application name beginning with the letter ‘K’ you’ll find Linux to be a pleasure to use.

Okay, so maybe that wasn't so briefly for most, but it was for me!

Well, thatÂ’s all for now; looking forward to any commentary. :)

Re: The differences

confusedSQL said:
And no, Mac’s are *not* “less susceptible to viruses." Yes, folks, let it be known (heh, all personal opinion here) there are simply more PC’s out there than Macs and with more users come more malicious users, all applying their free time to the unfortunate design of publicly malicious programs. If there were as many Macs as there were PC’s, there would most probably be an equal or very close number of viruses for both, as well.

Macs aren't more secure against virii in general. Theyre secure against the waves of media hyped PC virii. This is something everyone should get clear before saying anything about Macintosh security. Macs are quite open ended, especially in OSX because UNIX junkies can have their fun (think console and auto executable files). AppleScripts for the earlier MacOS'es can do some serious damage.

See its not that Macs are impervious to virii- which they are most certainly not- it is that people have bigger fish to fry. The Open Source community, which is the source of many of the world's more destructive virii, sees Microsoft as the man they have to stick it to. Apple, since it based its OS on open source, is in a quirky way spawning new open source users and thus aiding the cause. Why fight your friend when your enemy is bigger?

mac_mogul said:
That is the fourth time I have seen that link posted by a PC user against Macs...

Is it a religion or something? Do ALL PC users use that video as a doctrine or something???

:sigh:

I choose Mac because it does everything a PC can do, but without freezing, without crashing, without pop-ups, without viri warnings, without viri, without making me hate it with a passion. And (within the past couple years) Mac's have gotten more appreciation for games.

And as to the first sentence of that link... I have heard the term 'MacGamer' It's been around since I can first remember (i.e. the Marathon series)

And just so I don't sound too biased towards Macs (although I am) PC's do have a few advantages... uh... oh. Nevermind.:):p

I have to sort of disagree there. We both Macs and PC's where I work about 450PC's and 85 Macs. Most are the newer G4's with the shiney chrome front plates all running 1GB RAM. These things crash daily and almost hourly. All you here when you pass by the composing and graphics departments is BOONNGGGGG "mac reboot noise" all day freakin long :( Mac users have come to except the fact that rebooting your mac every other hour is "normal". Our PC's stay on 24/7 and of those 450 PC's I'd say maybe 450 of them never have this crashing problem like the Macs. All Macs are doing is becoming more like a PC and that is why mac users are liking them more and more..You notice how OSX copied Windows Minimize/Maximize/Close windows feature ;-)

Win2kpatcher,

Truth be told, Windows really doesnt crash any more/less often than MacOSX. The deciding factor for both platforms is the stability of the programs in use. Since Windows doesn't have the memory allocation methods that OSX does (smart memory management that keeps apps in their own bubble so that if they crash, the whole stack wont crash), it crashes more often if unstable software is introduced. Ive found that crashes on PCs can be mostly attributed to drivers, which are almost always poorly written. Since Apple controls all the system software, including the drivers, there is much less room for error. Compatability is ensured on all Apple models before it is released, thus eliminating a large part of what is the usual culprit of PC crashes. Also, on a general scope, regular users tend to install programs that ar just plain horrible. Kazaa in its many forms, while a great P2P program, is full of crap that can screw with your computer. People get these types of crappily made programs, their computers crash and Mac heads use it as fodder.

If a PC lab is running controlled software (ie. if it was a dedicated workstation) then I would definintely say that it would be just as stable as a Macintosh in the same situation.

Thats good stuff!! See why cant the Mac people be like that where I work..like they are its MAC or nothing!!! type of people..Im always up for discussion on any platforms. Ive had no problems with OSX which I am runnign on my old blue G3 for work testing lol..but all our users are on OS9 because we have a propritary ad tracking system that doesnt work on OSX. I think we would all be much happier if we moved to OSX.

Win2kpatcher said:
but all our users are on OS9

And that is the stability problem right there. OS 9 to me actually seemed worse then OS 8 in that aspect for some reason...it just did not seem consistant to me. If you are going to say that OS 9 is unstable you cannot compare it to Windows XP...you have to look at 98...because these types of comparisons have to either look at products based on the latest offering, or near-equal release times. I disagree with your statement that Mac users are liking their computers more because they are becoming more PC like. The minimize feature is the only thing they "copied"...(and for Panther, fast user switching)...they've had close buttons as well...though these things function differently. Actually, Microsoft and Apple are going in completely different directions at this point. Microsoft used to copy many Apple features, but right now they seem to have split off in a way.

Also, you're right about people who are not open minded about platforms. I personally Mac biased, but there are truly advantages to everything. By the way, I currently own a fairly robust Windows laptop (or it was...when I got it, 2 GHz laptops were a new thing!!!)...so what I say against Windows XP is informed. I agree with G5 regarding poorly written drivers and freeware...you also have to factor in the ENOURMOUS amounts of spyware and adware you get by just browsing the net. My computer gets very bogged down and as a result I end up doing a complete reformat every six months. Now I admit that the need for such frequency is largly my fault, most users who are ever on the internet will notice slowdowns over a long period of time...and will see their computer eventually getting bogged down. I am not entirely sure, but I would assume that this is less of an issue on Mac for many reasons. No registry to get corrupted, no corrupted drivers that barely worked in the first place (though I'm sure there must be some sort of device driver corruption), much less nuisance like spyware and viruses, etc.

Yes I agree with the Virus thing!! Our site got hit with the Nachi Welch when it first came out REALLY bad. We were going through patching PC's left and right...and one of the Mac users stated "hows the patching of the Macs going?" ;-) I was left defenseless..lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom