why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
halodude said:
why do you think mac is better than pc? post a reply telling the better features. in the meantime, tell me how true this http://www.redvsblue.com/appleswitch.shtml is

First thing, realize that this video was intended as a joke...making fun of the "Switch" campaign. Second, there are many reasonsI personally have...I'm not even going to list them here. Good comparisons can be found at http://www.xvsxp.com (thanks G5orbust for that website) and their forums have many related arguments...whether specific or general.

That is the fourth time I have seen that link posted by a PC user against Macs...

Is it a religion or something? Do ALL PC users use that video as a doctrine or something???

:sigh:

I choose Mac because it does everything a PC can do, but without freezing, without crashing, without pop-ups, without viri warnings, without viri, without making me hate it with a passion. And (within the past couple years) Mac's have gotten more appreciation for games.

And as to the first sentence of that link... I have heard the term 'MacGamer' It's been around since I can first remember (i.e. the Marathon series)

And just so I don't sound too biased towards Macs (although I am) PC's do have a few advantages... uh... oh. Nevermind.:):p

no. i just thought it was pretty funny. what about sys specs? macs have like 256 or 512 mb of ram max and ~1ghz cpus. how do they "run so well"?

halodude said:
no. i just thought it was pretty funny. what about sys specs? macs have like 256 or 512 mb of ram max and ~1ghz cpus. how do they "run so well"?

Not true.

Here is a listing of Apple's current offerings and their max RAM amounts:

1.6G5: 4GB
dual 1.8/dual 2.0 G5: 8GB
iMac/eMac: 1GB
12 inch Powerbook: 1.256GB
15/17 inch Powerbook: 2GB
iBook: 640MB

The RAM amounts advertised are the standard complements, though the machines can handle much more.

As for clock speed, you cannot measure performance from it really. Granted the megahertz myth is worthless now, so pretty much x86 chips and PPC chips cant be compared by just megahertzage. The total package's performance overall is what should be compared.

But as chips go, you really cant just look at the clock speed. One must look at a few key factors that really determine the worth and speed of a processor:

- Clock Speed
- Front side bus speed/ Memory support
- Cache size and speed (L3 cache?)
- Instruction sets
- Extras (on die memory controller, 64 bit support, HyperTransport, SOI/ SSOI, etc.)

how many people do you know with enough money lying around to get 8gb of memory?

what is a reasonable system spec for a affordable mac?

how many people do you know with enough money lying around to get 8gb of memory?

8GB of RAM really isnt practical for consumer based applications, though it certainly is for professional graphic artists and movie editors. Apple chose to make its pro machines utilize the >4GB RAM capabilities of 64 bit computing.

what is a reasonable system spec for a affordable mac?

~1.25GHz G4
512MB of RAM
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
17 inch LCD
60GB -80GB hard drive
Geforce FX 5200 ultra w/ 64MB of vRAM
--------------------------------------
The 17 inch iMac
• 512MB DDR333 - 2 DIMMs
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Keyboard/Mac OS X - U.S. English
• 17-inch flat panel LCD
• 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
• 4x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra (64MB DDR)
• Apple Keyboard
• Apple Mouse
• Apple Pro Speakers

Subtotal $1,899.00

There are cheaper Macs out there, this one just matched up well to my specs :)

halodude said:
i'll just stick with pc, thanks!

Yeah I admit that is rich for my blood too. BUT! Theres always the towers.

Older G4 towers are still being sold from Apple. Here is the one closest to my specs:

• Dual 1.25GHz w/ 2MB L3 Cache per processor
• 512MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) -1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Optical 1 - Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
• Optical 2 - None
• ATI Radeon 9000 Pro dual-display w/64MB DDR
• 56K internal modem
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. English
Subtotal $1,724.00

Add whatever monitor you like and you're off. This thing has three PCI slots plus upgradeable everything. Much longer lasting than an all in one.

But, PCs will always be cheaper. Always go for whats best for your bank account.

Just one thing here, why do you say at one point that Macs can only support 256 to 512 MB of RAM, and then when you find out that they can have as much as 8 GB say that people can't afford that. Wouldn't you still rather to have a machine that can upgrade that far, as opposed to a machine that is at its max with a lower amount? (By the way, P4s can take only 4 GB due to lack of dualing capabilities). [Moderator clarification Edit: The >4GB memory allowance is due to the enlarged memory addressing allowed by 64bit computing, not dual processors.]

And the G5 (PowerPC 970) goes up to 2 GHz, and is expected to go up to 3 by the end of the summer. Ok. Intel is already there, but their consumer CPUs have not yet come from 32 bit to 64 bit...the G5 has. The Pentium does not have dual processor support. The G5 does. System specs are not really an argument against Macs any more.

On the other hand, price is probably the factor that has prevented me from owning an Apple computer. They really need a series of capable budget machines (eMacs just go over the "budget" price range). Maybe revive the old iMacs with G4 CPUs...:laughing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom