Why does my internet suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
Ok, this morning I had dl speeds of like 8kbps on a 100mb file, and now I got 30kbps on a 1.5mb file. I don't know what is going on. I used to be able to get like 600kbps dl speeds. Then, a few months ago, it got crappy and went to 100-200kbps, but now this is insane. I just got my powerline adapters working for a wired connection, but it still sucks. I tried dling this morning with both the wireless and the wired, and it was 8kbps with both of them. For the past few months I've been getting ping spikes up to 150 and even 200 while playing cod:waw, and I attributed it to the wireless and my brothers hogging bandwidth with their xbox 360, but now I am wired, and I got these ping spikes while no one was playing the xbox at all. The router has been moved very recently, after the ping spikes started happening, so that should rule out the need for a reset. It is a linksys WRT54G with the latest firmware unless there was a new update in the past few months, which I doubt. I don't know what is wrong.

My powerline adapters were transferring data at a rate of 114mbps when I did that.

Take out the powerline adapter. They could very easily be affecting you speeds.

Hmm, using wireless instead of the powerline adapters gets me 35-40 kbps instead of 20-25 kbps on an 80mb file. If the powerline adapters are transferring at 120mbps and the wireless is doing variable of up to 54 kbps plus whatever the speedbooster network card helps with, this doesn't make sense. Either way, the speed sucks on both.

How would I go about transfering a file from one computer to another within my network? I have never done this before.

Edit: And yeah, the modem was moved with the router, so I got disconnected from power and thus reset as well.

How would I go about transfering a file from one computer to another within my network? I have never done this before.

just share a file. right click on the file, select 'sharing' or 'sharing and security'. Only things to make sure of is that the computer you're sharing the file on, and the computer you want to get the file onto are in the same subnet and workgroup.

e.g one pc is 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0, then the other computer has to be 192.168.1.y 255.255.255.0. same subnet. Easy way to check this, just try pinging the ip address of one pc from the other. if it works, and the workgroup is the same, sharing will work.

Ok, I did that and it asked me to set some stuff up so I did I guess, and then it wanted me to create a network setup disk that I would have had to run on all computers. I didn't do that though. After I set the stuff up, I right clicked a file and went to sharing and security again and clicked to box to make the file sharable then clicked apply and ok, but it didn't do anything with it except put a little hand icon or something on the folder. How do I transfer it?

that means it IS shared now. Go to another computer on your network, open My Computer, and in the address bar type \\thepcname where thepcname is the name of the pc you did the sharing stuff on.

E.g if the two computers names were FRED and BOB, and you shared the stuff on BOB, you'd go to FRED and type \\BOB in the address bar. Then you should see whatever you have shared between the computers.

if you are still having slow speds upto this point you MAY have a spyware infestation in your pc. try running an anti spybot program to see if you have any bots on your pc. if you don,t have an anti spybot program theres a good free one called Spybot search and destroy. you can google or yahoo it just download install follow instructions and let er rip.

*wonders why the above always thinks it is spyware and/or a virus*

Anyways, powerline adapters aren't always the best, if there are any fluctuations or surges or any sort of interfearence in the powerlines then it will cripple your speed, in theory it shouldn't since the adapters send out something at a different frequency than the AC in the lines, but sometimes it just doesn't work right. Best method, wireless N or a true wired cat5/6 network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom