RG-6 Coax Cable over Cat5e/6 vs Actiontec MoCA Adapter

cipherthesil3nt

Beta member
I just moved in to a new house a few days ago and have been experiencing issues downloading games onto my computer (Steam Summer Sale.) At first I thought it was just because of congested servers, but then I ran a speed test and found I was only getting 10 - 15mb/s download speeds and upload speeds around 1 -2mb/s. I've been using TPLink Powerline Adapters since my last house, and those are working fine for my family's PS3 in the living room. However, the electrical wiring in my room must be screwed up. I've tested the connection on both my laptop and desktop with the results previously listed. Went into the living room with my laptop and got download speeds of 30mb/s and uploads of 3mb/s while connected to the PA; and 50 - 60mb/s download and 4+mb/s upload on wireless. Wireless in my room is similar to the PA results from my room.
We've decided to try Coax to Ethernet to fix this issue in my room. My dad is looking at RG-6 to Cat5e/6 cables to fix this, while I've looked at Actiontec MoCA Adapters . My question is are the RG-6 to Cat5e/6 cables reliable/will they actually work? While I'm all for saving money, I'd rather have the Adapters - which I know work - rather than something that doesn't work.

Ideally you'd run a cat 5e cable straight from your router to your bedroom.

The powerline adapter will work slowly, or not at all, if:
1. Your bedroom is on a different circuit
2. It's plugged into a multiway adapter
3. The electrical wiring is old...

Is it a "pass-through" adapter? ie, you plug it in first, and then anything else that needs power plugs into the powerline adapter? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41H8nSuCX6L._SY300_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom