Why do the same programs appear on both drives C and D?

scherz0

Solid State Member
1. I never deliberately installed programs on my D. Thus why do some programs appear on both C and D?

2. How can I harmlessly remove the duplicated (on both C and D) programs from D? Please see screen shot below.

4KVYt.jpg

3. As you can see below, I have merely 1 Windows installed.

0deW1yg.jpg

You do have some complete chaos there, but from a distance it is completely impossible to guess or understand why.
Also can see from this latest image that your Windows is completely incorrectly installed and configured.
So it would be wise to make a backup of your files somewhere else and completely clean and reformat these disks and only then do a brand new and clean Windows installation.
It's your chance, and it's up to you to decide if you want everything to be OK or if you want to continue with what you have there. Anyway, it seems to me personally that this would be the easiest way to get things right.

As above to be honest. But when you do a reinstall of Windows disconnect the D drive. If the D drive is a partition then get rid and use a separate drive. I could never understand the need to partition a drive, It adds unneccessary complications to already flawed programs aka Windows. The other massive problem with partitions is that if your hard drive goes down everything, including the partition, goes with it. Far better to store personal files on a completely separate hard drive, preferably external so that it can be disconnected until needed and reducing the risk of viri destroying it, or even store in the cloud although I will admit that is an expensive option.

I am assuming that your D drive is an internal separate drive. (D is usually reserved for a DVD drive so I am also assuming that you do not have a DVD drive fitted although I will admit that you can change drive letters around.) Anyway as I said in my previous post Windows is flawed and puts stuff all over the place. I don't think you actually disable a drive completely if your computer is powered up. I would still physically disable your second drive by disconnecting it. I do realise that that does not sort out the mess that you have with files everywhere. You can of course go through each drive and look for duplicate files and delete one of them but, to be honest, I would hesitate in suggesting that.You could cause all sorts problems. The only solid advice I can give is to disconnect the D drive after you have sorted that mess out and as Kalju suggests reformat your C drive and re-install Windows. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom