Which came first? (pertaining to Biology/Evolution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewjustforyou

In Runtime
alright everyone, I got an open question for you:

Which came first evolutionarily (there is no known answer at this point), Eyes (photosensors), Ears (in particular the balancing aspect, hearing did not come around for quite some time), Touch (Mechanoreceptors) or Taste/smell (Chemoreceptors)? and feel free to argue it out a bit, I posed this question to my Invertebrate Zoology teacher today, and he said he would come back with as many theories as he could, and I told him I would do the same.

I will tell you my theories after I hear some of yours!

-Drew

p.s. also a thread for:
Chicken or the Egg
Pancakes or Waffles
Cake or Pie

Odds are that, evolutionarily speaking, several senses started combined. For example, touch + taste + smell probably started as a single sense that worked through the skin of the organism. Photosensors would have been a secondary development as sight would not have been overly important in the primordial ooze.

I'm going with touch. It seems to me that single celled organism usually wander around aimlessly until they bump into something. But I'm no scientist, thou some call me Mad :D

Which came first evolutionarily (there is no known answer at this point), Eyes (photosensors), Ears (in particular the balancing aspect, hearing did not come around for quite some time), Touch (Mechanoreceptors) or Taste/smell (Chemoreceptors)? and feel free to argue it out a bit, I posed this question to my Invertebrate Zoology teacher today, and he said he would come back with as many theories as he could, and I told him I would do the same.

I would say touch. Reason being is that referes to skin. The bag of flesh that keep the rest of our stuff in. Or the protective coating around us. Even the smallest of organisism lives in some sort of bag.

p.s. also a thread for:
Chicken or the Egg
Pancakes or Waffles
Cake or Pie

You forgot to add is the Tennis Ball Green or Yellow

keyboard cowboy,

not all animals have skin some animals have a hard shell/armor around them made from a different source, and in my theory, these animals have no "touch" like we humans have "touch"

what is more complex: sight or sound, many people will say sight, and that may be true. but for our hears to render the sounds we hear, thats got to be pretty complex as well.

for my question is, what came last, sight, sound, touch, smell, taste.

keyboard cowboy,

not all animals have skin some animals have a hard shell/armor around them made from a different source, and in my theory, these animals have no "touch" like we humans have "touch"

what is more complex: sight or sound, many people will say sight, and that may be true. but for our hears to render the sounds we hear, thats got to be pretty complex as well.

for my question is, what came last, sight, sound, touch, smell, taste.
Shell or not, it is still something on the OUTSIDE of the internal organs that had to evolve from the soft tissue at some point to know that it was needed.

Meaning that a turtle may have a hard shell now, but back in pre-historic times that was not true. Why? Because Evolution itself is a concept where things adapt to their surroundings. They wouldnt have to adapt and get shells or armor if it wasnt needed. The only way to know it was needed? By having a soft exterior previously and the species almost dying out.

Therefor you can conclude that even such a species that has a shell now, at some point must have had a soft exterior in order to evolve to what they needed to survive.

As for the OP. Touch.

Taste.

All animals eat and always have done, taste would of developed extremely quickly to distinguish between what is and isn't edible.

Single celled organisms didnt have to taste. They absorbed their food in through their membrane which contained them. Ameoba is such a organism. So Touch would have come before taste. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom