Dell Optiplex gx 280 Fan/CPU cooling.

zeke_04736

Solid State Member
Good evening, I am currently building a budget rig at the moment, until its finished I am using a older 2004 dell optiplex gx 280. The issue is the heatsink/fan hardware dell uses, proprietary clips (no screws for any normal fans on the case), and 5 pin-4 wire setup for the fan header.

The dell fan I have is Fan Assembly Part Number: T4307 / Heatsink Part Number: W4254; picture:
$%28KGrHqNHJFYFILdJo6vYBSJ0+75dQ!~~60_12.JPG

The heastink is quite large and is sitting on the default pentium 4 520 2.8 ghz prescott processor. The fan starts at normal speeds, but when starting a older game like quake 3 arena from 99, the 2004 computer maxes the cpu at 100% during the gameplay 100% of the time, same with any video quality over 480p, so 720p and 1080p are out of the question for video viewing, sound seems to be fine just the frames drop and its not worth watching on higher quality setting.

I ordered a replacement processor, pentium 4 560 3.6 ghz prescott for the land grid array socket 775, hoping to free up some of the bottleneck on the processor, the thermal paste has not been applied since 2004 it appears, and when I purchased this temporary PC off ebay for 30$, I opened it up to try and quiet the fan down by cleaning the heatsink/fan assembly, needless to say it was not cleaned in probably 10 years, with a good quarter inch of dark brown lint caked on the giant heatsink, I cleaned it all up as much as possible around the metal fins, and turned the heat sink around to hopefully eliminate any bare spots where thermal paste had worn away and copper was directly touching the processor, this resulted in a slight noise reduction but still is quite loud when doing anything.

I searched around looking for a heatsink and cooler capable of 115w TDP for the older pentium 4 560 3.6 Ghz that is coming in the mail, aswell as ordered some thermal compound to apply to the 560 cpu. The problems with dell setup came pretty apparenty, first the fan header is 5pin with 4 wires, eliminating the possibility of installing 99% of all coolers for LGA 775 that I could find on the internet, leaving me with basically only option to replace with a 20-30$ used heatsink/fan, or a 30$ "new" fan replacement alone without the shroud and heatsink. This was slightly annoying considering I could pick up a LGA 775 cooler that would fit the socket for a fraction of the cost, and alot smaller.

I need some help figuring out how I can replace this fan to get the noise levels down, I've seen a few mentioned 3-4 pin fan to molex connectors to directly hook up to PSU instead of using the fan header on the motherboard, however some have mentioned the fan's RPM will default to 100% in this setup basically making the whole replacement pointless as this one stays at 100% after the CPU reaches 100%, never slowing back down to normal boot levels of quiet barely noticeable.

12bg.JPG

That is the old heatsink, as you can see burned on lint which is like sticky and in turn made the whole shroud and fan assembly sticky as if plastic had melted or the lint was melting for years causing a residue to be left on the whole fan assembly and shroud. I've been reading up on this particular fan part, and some have mentioned it has sensors on the fan itsself to control RPM, but I believe if thats the case the condition of the fan being covered in the residue makes the RPM just auto default to 100% once CPU reaches 100% , and never goes back down in correlation with the cpu use.

How could I go about replacing this fan? The back of the case appears to only fit the green shroud with square holes to clip, leaving no drilled holes for a stock exhaust fan to be placed in the back of the case. Replacing the fan assembly itself has me wondering if its worth the hassle as I'm concerned it will be a waste of 30$ and be just as loud considering the setup of the fan assembly.

Is there anyway to fit a 3-4 pin fan and cooler on this lga 775, and what could I possible do for exhaust? The replacement fan for the same part appears to be the only possible option at the moment, as nothing else will have any screw holes to fit the back of the case (yay dell). I had slightly hope that the CPU change would take the 100% taxing away on the performance and thus result in less fan RPMs, aswell as the residue issue no longer being present to contribute to the reduction in noise levels, but obviously replacing the fan with a 30$ part for a 10 year old computer isn't exactly what I would prefer to do. I ordered a 650 ti 2gb for my new build and read up that its possible to stick it in pci 1.0 for now until I purchase intel processor for my LGA 1155 setup I'm in process of building, but the bottlenecking on the CPU made me think this was pointless, thus why I ordered the upgraded cpu with 3.6 ghz to reduce the bottleneck on games made 4-5 years before either of the processors were even released. I had a dell dimension back in 2003 that ran older games with no problems on bottlenecking, so I'm quite sure something in this setup could result in reduction of RPM on the fan assembly.

I will have the upgraded cpu and thermal grease with 650 ti soon, but I'm looking at an absurd RPM setting for this fan setup for now, while I'll only be using it another month or so it is quite annoying, and I intend on throwing it in the living room for just normal web surfing use, no gaming after I'm finished other rig. I would love to reduce fan noise as currently its not going to be possible to fit in living room with the noise levels.

Any suggestions on bypassing fan header without having a taxed 100% fan setup without having to replace with the costly 30$ 10 year old same fan part? Does anyone have any idea if this fan part does have RPM sensor on the fan assembly itself? I know one oft he 4 wires is for a sensor and RPM setting, but I'm assuming the caked on lint/residue is causing the issue. I tried scrubbing it clean and have no idea where the sensor is, I might try disassembling it from the shroud to see if I can further clean the blades and where the wires meet the fan, but have no idea if there is actually a sensor on this fan assembly or not, cleaning the fan assemly helped with fan noise a tiny bit, still has the max 100% cpu fan setting though. I have no way to check cpu temps as this apparently is not compatible with any fan software I've attempted to use, only temps returned are harddrive temps.

I've found quite a few 775 lga coolers and heatsinks that would fit this processor but none seem to have 115w tdp of this heatsink/fan blower setup, aswell as all being 3 and 4 pin setups that don't appear to fit the 5 pin fan header on the dell foxconn motherboard. :/

Good evening, I am currently building a budget rig at the moment, until its finished I am using a older 2004 dell optiplex gx 280. The issue is the heatsink/fan hardware dell uses, proprietary clips (no screws for any normal fans on the case), and 5 pin-4 wire setup for the fan header.

The dell fan I have is Fan Assembly Part Number: T4307 / Heatsink Part Number: W4254; picture.

The heastink is quite large and is sitting on the default pentium 4 520 2.8 ghz prescott processor. The fan starts at normal speeds, but when starting a older game like quake 3 arena from 99, the 2004 computer maxes the cpu at 100% during the gameplay 100% of the time, same with any video quality over 480p, so 720p and 1080p are out of the question for video viewing, sound seems to be fine just the frames drop and its not worth watching on higher quality setting.

I ordered a replacement processor, pentium 4 560 3.6 ghz prescott for the land grid array socket 775, hoping to free up some of the bottleneck on the processor, the thermal paste has not been applied since 2004 it appears, and when I purchased this temporary PC off ebay for 30$, I opened it up to try and quiet the fan down by cleaning the heatsink/fan assembly, needless to say it was not cleaned in probably 10 years, with a good quarter inch of dark brown lint caked on the giant heatsink.

I suggest you look into this very closely and make a purchase on this:
Masscool 8WT15 17 Intel Socket LGA 775 CPU Heatsink and Fan New | eBay

Also I recommend this grease to go with that heatsink fan I picked.
The cpu should be able to handle it no problems.
ARCTIC MX2 Thermal Paste -4gram - Newegg.com
Also you may need to take out the old cpu mounting bracket and install a new one to insert your heatsink.

I know your on a tight budget and every buck you can get for a budget build is crucial.
But by looking at your screen, your gonna have problems. :/
I suggest you give that computer a new pair of IDE cables and possibly new ram.
If you plan on using it for the next 60 days.

I'd be higly interested on what your trying to build and what price tag you have set.
If interested send me a pm or a direct email contact through TF and I'll work with you myself.

Merry christmas.

Last edited:
I suggest you look into this very closely and make a purchase on this:
Masscool 8WT15 17 Intel Socket LGA 775 CPU Heatsink and Fan New | eBay

Also I recommend this grease to go with that heatsink fan I picked.
The cpu should be able to handle it no problems.
ARCTIC MX2 Thermal Paste -4gram - Newegg.com
Also you may need to take out the old cpu mounting bracket and install a new one to insert your heatsink.

I know your on a tight budget and every buck you can get for a budget build is crucial.
But by looking at your screen, your gonna have problems. :/
I suggest you give that computer a new pair of IDE cables and possibly new ram.
If you plan on using it for the next 60 days.

I'd be higly interested on what your trying to build and what price tag you have set.
If interested send me a pm or a direct email contact through TF and I'll work with you myself.

Merry christmas.

tnx for reply, I am building nothing with this PC in pictures above, is just a 30$ pc I am using until I can buy 2500k and ram for my build I started a month or two ago, here is pic of the other rig I have thats sitting for another month or so, I have another 200$ish to toss into a 2500k and ram in a few weeks so won't be a big issue, just didn't want to toss money into this older PC if I didn't have to, the 650 TI is for this rig:
lm2l.jpg

I just was going to use it in this older PC for the next month while I was waiting for funds to come available, that cooler you linked is similar to what I've looked at; however it has a 4 pin connector, which won't fit the 5 pin Dell motherboard, I think they did this 5 pin setup to be proprietary dell build to be supplemented with only dell parts, same with the exhaust fan that is in the green shroud, 5 pin for the fan header on the motherboard which I can't find any other 5 pin coolers or fans that will fit this besides the original dell parts, probaly by design from dell I suppose, even the back of the case has no screw holes for exhaust fans, instead its made to fit the big green shrouds square hooks so in the event I did get that cooler/heatsink you linked, and somehow got the 4 pin to work on my 5 pin fan header on the old dell mboard, I still would be in a hard spot with exhaust fan to extract air as it has no fittings for screws at all so I can't just pick up a normal exhaust fan to pull air out of the case :3.

o1o6.png

^fan header, 5 pin dont know if I can use 3-4 pin coolers

a1am.png

^Back of case where exhaust fan and fan shroud clip onto the case, no screw holes in the case for mounting any generic fans :3.

tnx for reply, I am building nothing with this PC in pictures above, is just a 30$ pc I am using until I can buy 2500k and ram for my build I started a month or two ago, here is pic of the other rig I have thats sitting for another month or so, I have another 200$ish to toss into a 2500k and ram in a few weeks so won't be a big issue, just didn't want to toss money into this older PC if I didn't have to, the 650 TI is for this rig:

I just was going to use it in this older PC for the next month while I was waiting for funds to come available, that cooler you linked is similar to what I've looked at; however it has a 4 pin connector, which won't fit the 5 pin Dell motherboard, I think they did this 5 pin setup to be proprietary dell build to be supplemented with only dell parts, same with the exhaust fan that is in the green shroud, 5 pin for the fan header on the motherboard which I can't find any other 5 pin coolers or fans that will fit this besides the original dell parts, probaly by design from dell I suppose, even the back of the case has no screw holes for exhaust fans, instead its made to fit the big green shrouds square hooks so in the event I did get that cooler/heatsink you linked, and somehow got the 4 pin to work on my 5 pin fan header on the old dell mboard, I still would be in a hard spot with exhaust fan to extract air as it has no fittings for screws at all so I can't just pick up a normal exhaust fan to pull air out of the case :3.

^fan header, 5 pin don't know if I can use 3-4 pin coolers

^Back of case where exhaust fan and fan shroud clip onto the case, no screw holes in the case for mounting any generic fans :3.

Uh huh, I'll look up some info about the 5pin cpu wire on that old dell mobo.
For the time being, you could scrap your pentium 4 prescott idea and invest in this.

Free SHIP Intel Celeron Processor G1610 2 6GHz 5 0GT s 2MB LGA 1155 CPU Retail 0735858255066 | eBay

Also I just pulled some kingston ram from my mothers computer.
Both seem to be fine for 4gb and 1gb 1333mhz ddr3.
If it needs to be rmaed I'll do so on friday.
if you would like to, I can have manufacturer ship it to you if your willing to take it off my hands.
Choice is up to you, you be better off starting on your rig with that celery bridge.
When you have enough money upgrade to your 2500k or better depending on the market in janurary-feburary.

Uh huh, I'll look up some info about the 5pin cpu wire on that old dell mobo.
For the time being, you could scrap your pentium 4 prescott idea and invest in this.

Free SHIP Intel Celeron Processor G1610 2 6GHz 5 0GT s 2MB LGA 1155 CPU Retail 0735858255066 | eBay

Also I just pulled some kingston ram from my mothers computer.
Both seem to be fine for 4gb and 1gb 1333mhz ddr3.
If it needs to be rmaed I'll do so on friday.
if you would like to, I can have manufacturer ship it to you if your willing to take it off my hands.
Choice is up to you, you be better off starting on your rig with that celery bridge.
When you have enough money upgrade to your 2500k or better depending on the market in janurary-feburary.

tnx I should be ok though, I had already purchased the prescott 560 3.6 ghz upgrade for this pc at the time I made the post so I'll probably just roll with this setup for now, appreciate the offer though! I got recommendation to use BitFenix Spectre Pro All Black 120mm and just use hot glue gun and twist tie to secure the fan in place on the exhaust and just use it on the current heatsink at the moment as I think it will suffice for just basic web browsing.

I am pretty near ordering 2500k n ram for this other PC so not too worried about the gaming aspect too much, the celeron and ram for the new rig would be alot better but I won't have any rig to toss in living room for basic web browsing after as this one is too loud atm, so I figured I'd sacrifice the better options you mentioned and try to get this beast a little more quiet, the spectre 120mm fan has throttle on it so I should beable to manually keep it down, don't think heat will be too much of an issue but if I have to I can always pick up the heatsink you linked if the aftermarket exhaust with this current heatsink doesn't work out, Got it book marked for now, other prescott and arctic silver is waiting at post office so I should beable to get busy on this by the weekend for sure :).

Tnx for the help got some from another forum also so no shortage of ideas and suggestions should beable to mitigate the noise on this one and improve general performance, I think the current cpu is nearing its end anyhow, it was released in 2004 but maxes out on 90s games, cs/q3a ect; think she is near end of life cycle so hopefully will have a good improvement for basic browsing and bill paying cpu for my mom, she doesn't use computers or have any experience besides basic work related stuff, never had one personally at home so I think its good idea to get her a basic setup going and just deal with the lower quality PC I have here for a few more weeks until the intel lga 1155 is up and running, tnx alot, much appreciated.

Hoping once she gets used to browsing n surfing she'll want to upgrade on her own to a new PC, can build one from newegg for her too if she likes the convenience, she never has been much of a computer user, most she used to use PCs for was pinball or solitaire but the internet has alot of good content and interesting stuff, basic research and such to offer so I am interested in seeing her have one for her own enjoyment, merry xmas n have happy new year!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom