Weird problem with Server 2008 R2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I tried just like that with VirtualBox and it gave me an error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Server 2008.
VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

And from what I can understand that is the way of saying those BIOS options are not enabled.
When I looked in my BIOS, I found that Intel VT is supported. Along with other Intel technologies.
Would you guys be able to let me know if my mobo/cpu are able to do 64 bit Virtualization? From what I can tell it should, but it doesn't.

I have a MSI P67A-G45 and an Intel i5-2500K.

Yeah that is what I thought as well, everything seems like it should support it but it doesn't....

This problem is getting really weird ...

I just wanted to try and setup my own exchange, for fun you know, and it doesn't seem like it wants me to lol.

I tried looking again in my BIOS but no luck, like you said MoM it is in CPU Features but it just says that it supports it, no option to turn it on/off.

Still does not work and I looked in VB's settings and nothing in there as well, so I guess I will be doing the install on Server 2003.

R2 is the only version that is 64 bit, technically the original 2008 wasn't 64 bit and that's what i installed on Virtual PC 2007 on my computer. I then updated to R2 (it's a service pack) and i'm working fine because its still the original 32 bit OS.

Do you have the original 2008 disc? Not the R2 version (since that only comes in the 64 bit flavor).

No, the only one I have is R2. I have different versions of Server 2008 R2 but not anything lower than R2...

It's all good. I will try to make it work in Server 2008, just have to find a CD/DVD for Exchange 2007, lost mine.

EDIT: Thanks for trying to help all, really appreciate :)

Try setting up Server2008 R2 as a VM on another parent OS and see if you are able to activate the AD role.

I have tried and the only other machine that can spare enough RAM to do a VM on it, is my main machine and VM-ing Server 2008 doesn't work on there. x64 problem and all.

Alright so I tried just like that with VirtualBox and it gave me an error

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Server 2008.
VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: Console
Interface: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

And from what I can understand that is the way of saying those BIOS options are not enabled.
When I looked in my BIOS, I found that Intel VT is supported. Along with other Intel technologies.
Would you guys be able to let me know if my mobo/cpu are able to do 64 bit Virtualization? From what I can tell it should, but it doesn't.

I have a MSI P67A-G45 and an Intel i5-2500K.

Okay we know 64 bit is difficult to configure on VM - have you tried installing it on a completely different hardware setup on a physical PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom