VPN/Fileserver

maddangerous

In Runtime
i have a laptop:

AMD TL(52?) 2.2 ghz dual core
4 gig of ram
160 gig hdd 5400 rpm
ATi x1200

that im looking into turning into a vpn server for me and my friends to connect to play games, and to send some files back and forth. im looking at CentOS as a base, minimal install to start and adding things as i go. Also, looking at OpenVPN or SoftEther as the vpn software, and i havent really looked into setting up the fileserver.

so what should i look into/worry about?
any thoughts or opinions? any direction really woul be great.

Bump, as i at least have things running for now, the minimal install didnt work out so well trying to get a GUI running i could start if i needed it so i have a CentOS 6 installed off a live cd.

Sounds like you've got things under control? You'll need a static external IP or dynamic DNS in order for your friends to connect, got that sorted?

umm... kinda sorted i guess?

im really trying to do a minimal install to just get what i need and a gui up and running, so im not tinkering with the vpn software quite yet, and im still looking for some suggestions on that.

im also looking to find out how i can make CentOS read/write to NTFS drives, as my external i intend on sharing through said vpn is formatted as NTFS.

as for the IP addresses no i have not done anything yet, i was going to go with a staticip for the server unless that wont work

See here for NTFS - TipsAndTricks/NTFS - CentOS Wiki

And assigning a static IP to the server won't work, it's an internal IP. The IP your friends will need is your external IP. You can view it by just typing "what's my IP" into google.

That IP will change whenever the connection between your ISP and your router goes down, or whenever your ISP feels like it really, so you'll probably need a dynamic DNS service like this one - Free Dynamic DNS - No-IP.com - Managed DNS Services

Ah ok I misunderstood you then on the ip. Alright I'll look into that stuff and see what happens, thanks for the info. Any suggestions on VPNs?

Ok ill look into it further, im still comparing it to softether as well I had heard good things about both

So far it bots and runs, softether is installed and im playing around with it. Using it as a dhcp server, it seems I cant stop it from assigning ip's on my local network, and I was looking for it to assign ip's on the vpn network only. So still some kinks to work out.

Back
Top Bottom