Ubuntu 11.10 - Oneiric Ocelot - arstechnica.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

office politics

It's all just 1s and 0s
the last release i used heavily was on version 7.04 feisty fawn. recently, i loaded ubuntu 11.04 to use the fontforge application. I'm fairly impressed. I guess the standard to get to is to match windows xp. i think some pain points of previous version were graphics, click features, and needing to relearn shortcuts.

Desktop dreams: Ubuntu 11.10 reviewed

By Ryan Paul

Ubuntu 11.10, codenamed Oneiric Ocelot, prowled out of the development forest earlier this month. In our review of Ubuntu 11.04, released back in April, we took a close look at the strengths and weaknesses of the new Unity shell and compared it with GNOME 3.0. In this review, we're going to revisit Unity to see how much progress it has made over the past six months. We will also take a close look at the updated Software Center user interface and the transition from Evolution to Thunderbird.

**details of enhancements and features in article **

Conclusion

Ubuntu 11.10 is another modest incremental improvement over the previous release. Although it doesn't bring a huge number of changes, the enhancements—particularly to Unity—have a big impact on the general feel of the platform. The Unity shell still has some annoying limitations, but it feels more practical for day-to-day use.

I don't find myself pining for a classic GNOME alternative anymore. The availability of the 2D version is also important because it will make the environment available to everyone, irrespective of whether their hardware can handle compositing.

Other parts of the desktop stack have continued to evolve and often a more capable environment than previous versions of Ubuntu. The Software Center continues to stand out as a solid piece of quality design.

Ubuntu's distinctive look and feel is mature, but still benefits from some tasteful refinements in the new version. Further work is still needed to finish bringing features like the new scrollbar style to the whole desktop. Thunderbird looks great in this release, but LibreOffice still looks gratuitously non-native. The new fixed-width variant of the Ubuntu typeface is a big win for terminal users and those of us who live in Vim—it's probably my favorite new feature in Ubuntu 11.10.

Hardware compatibility remains hit and miss, with some painful misses on laptops and netbooks. Ubuntu still trails its proprietary rivals in areas like power management and trackpad support.

Existing Ubuntu users will find a lot to like in Ubuntu 11.10—it tangibly moves the distribution forward and improves the quality of the user experience. There is still a lot of room for improvement, however, especially in Unity, which I think still needs one more cycle to really fall into place.

As usual, work has already begun on the next major version of the distribution. Ubuntu 12.04, which is due for release in April, is going to be a long-term support release—which means that it will be supported for five years. The focus of development leading up to 12.04 will be on stabilization and robustness, which means that it will likely be a stronger candidate than 11.10 for day-to-day desktop use.

Been out since the 13th, but it is a jump for Unity. I used to hate Unity. But, it is better then when it first introduced.

Ubuntu Linux eyes tablet territory – CNET – Tech News Daily

Canonical wants to get its Ubuntu Linux operating system onto tablets and smartphones.

The company plans to make an announcement to that effect at the Ubuntu Developer Summit taking place this week, according to Stephen J. Vaughan-Nichols, a blogger for CNET sister site ZDNet. The platforms beyond the desktop that Canonical is targeting include not only those mobile devices but also smart TVs.

“It's important for us to reach out to our community on these platforms,” Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth told Vaughan-Nichols. “So, we'll embrace the challenge of how to use Ubuntu on smartphones, tablets and smart screens.”

But don't expect deliverables to hit the market right away. First Canonical wants to make sure that the upcoming Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for desktops is as stable as can be and to spiff up the Unity desktop interface. Vaughan-Nichols speculates that developer tablets and smartphones with ARM processors could debut in the second quarter of 2012.

gosh, whata fast release cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom