This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions

HerbieK

Beta member
On another computer, I upgraded from win 7 home to pro (64 bit) with the express purpose of restricting access to certain programs. As the administrator, I used gpedit.msc and gave one program access as a test. I had assumed that being the admin I would have access to all programs. However, I can access nothing. I get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." on every program that I have tried. So far the only thing that I have managed to start is regedit, as long as I boot into safe mode (command prompt only). Until I have an idea what to change in the registry, this really doesn't help me. I enabled the hidden administrator by entering: "net user administrator /active:yes", hoping that I could undo the damage in gpedit. This account had no effect and got the same message. It may be that I have to reboot with a bootable cd or usb. If this is the case can I use files from one of my working computers to make a bootable cd / usb? The machine with the problem won't even let me do dos copy commands. Right now the machine is only useful as an expensive paper weight. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom