The cost of movie piracy to the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
http://torrentfreak.com/the-cost-of-movie-piracy-to-the-us/

A recent study by the Institute for Policy Innovation (IPI) reveals that Movie Piracy not only has a direct impact on the movie business, but that is also affect the US economy on a larger scale.

The research is based on the outcome of the MPAA funded LEK study that revealed that the movie industry lost $1.3 billion in the US, and $6.1 billion worlwide.

Based on these figures, the IPI concludes that Movies Pirates (online and offline) are responsible for:
# $5.5 billion in lost annual earnings among U.S workers
# 141,030 jobs lost
# $837 million in lost annual tax revenue
# $20.5 billion in lost annual output to all U.S. industries

However, the research does not report about the benefits of movie Piracy to the US economy. Especially online piracy is creating a lot of jobs and tax revenue. Pirates pay for broadband connections, buy harddisks and blank media etcetera. However, perhaps even more important, a recent study show that online piracy is a valuable source of innovation to the industries, as well as to entrepreneurs. Online pirates tend to be early adopters and they actually aid to the emergence of new and innovative business models.

I really think that the government should look at the positive sides of piracy. (if any)
Does anybody have anything to say about this?

Don't forget how much they mark up movies.

It costs $1 to make one DVD, including the printing, case, and DVD.

That's about $14 mark-up there, so how are they losing money if they don't make that $1?

A buck ain't much!

i'm not too surprised with the outrageous numbers as a result of a study funded by the MPAA.

the study apparently didn't look at the effects of making bad movies and how much THAT costs the industry. seriously, this SHOULD be a consumer-driven market (like the music industry) but it has become bass-ackwards (like the music industry) and they continue to deliver crappier and crappier media, while still expecting the public to pay higher and higher prices for it.

**** 'em

Look at those gift set's.

Soprano's Latest Season. I've seen it up to about $80 for 5 DVD's.

Now, it costs $3 to make the DVD. Why the $77 markup? L, OMG...why?

dude, things like that you R&R if you will... Rent and Rip :)

i agree with molson, if movies didn't suck so much who knows! maybe i'd pay for them

so suing people for pirating is their way of compensating ;)

lol reminds me of that episode of family guy....

"Guys, we got 20 calls about this incident. And as we all know, 1 call means a billion people; 20 BILLION PEOPLE WERE OFFENDED BY THIS!"

but then take the 14 dollar "mark up", multiply that by millions, then divide it into like, 5 and thats how much each portion of the movie business gets.... "crew" (filmers, directers, etc) probly like 2/5, MPAA 1/5, other *** holes, 2/5

tommyboy123x said:
i agree with molson, if movies didn't suck so much who knows! maybe i'd pay for them

I still wouldn't buy movies, I spend all my money on booze, women, and car parts. I might go see them in the theater, but that usually falls into women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom