Mega ~ The new MegaUpload?

Mirageboss

Baseband Member
Wasn't quite sure where to post it, and I myself, am always up for a good discussion/debate. So this is surrounding the fact that just over a year the file-sharing site MegaUpload was shut down by the FBI/Department of Justice and the owner Kim Schmitz (Kim Kimble / Kim Dotcom) was accused of illegal file sharing and espionage and is now facing decades in prison and billion dollar fines.

Now for at least (as sad as it sounds) 5 hours a day, for the last 4 or so days, I have been doing research and looking into this case, due to the fact his new website has been launched.

Mega.co.nz is his new file-storage company, offering 50GB storage to free accounts, claiming to be known as "The Privacy Company" by encrypting all data on hosted via them so much so, that they would be unable to identify what exactly they are hosting essentially.

So my question I post to you all is this:
  1. If you were a previous MegaUpload Customer/User are you going to join Mega?
  2. Do you believe the charges laid against Kim Dotcom / MegaUpload are correct and he should be jailed for online piracy etc?
  3. What are your thoughts on the whole situation?

I thought this being a computing forum we should have some discussions around online activites also which could impact the future of the internet and computing as we know it. Especially seeing that Kim Dotcom hopes to see at least half the internet encrypted in the coming years. :p

I dont really care for mega, as long as my torrents have seeders I wont use mega.

Why?

Well the US Govt will be watching EVERYONE that uses it.

I get charges of piracy, but why espionage?

Piracy was given, but due to the laws in New Zealand, extradition is not permitted when it comes to copyright cases. Therefore the US government wacked ontop of it Money Laundering and Racketeering, so, in essence, they were saying that MegaUpload was a Mafia organised to break piracy laws which is honestly complete nonsense. It's basically a case of USA trying to push the boundaries of where their power lies.

I dont really care for mega, as long as my torrents have seeders I wont use mega.

Why?

Well the US Govt will be watching EVERYONE that uses it.

Funny story right, the US government themselves are using Mega. LOL
https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/294841255555387392

^^^ I read the article.

This is a once off statment.
As I said, Torrents are the way to go if you want to rape copyrights, not a single site that the bloody govt can close.

Back
Top Bottom