The appropriate system storage was not found? HELP!

ISolveCubes

Baseband Member
Okay, so the other day my Playstation 3 was turned on overnight and possibly overheated and froze. I tried to hold down the power button and it did not turn off. I know the decisions I made were very dumb, but I unplugged the power and turned it back on. The files were corrupted and needed to restore. I pressed "Ok" and it restored, but when it got to 100% it went to a black screen for about 10 minutes. My friend suggested turning it off again and retrying it so I did. It stopped at 10% and did not change for about 5 minutes so I went into safe mode and restored it that way. It worked the PS3 was working again but the files were gone. I inserted my game and it had to reinstall. It was a huge amount of data so it was going to take all night. It was goint up 1% every 5 minutes and my parents did not know that. My mother thought it froze so she unplugged it. I tried to turn it back on and I got this error: Cannot start. The appropriate system storage was not found.

I tried to go to safe mode again but got the same error message. What happened and what should I do? I looked it up in the Playstation Network website and it said that the hard drive was either unseated or needs to be replaced. If that is the case, what type of hard drive(or what hard drive) would I need to get and what are the price ranges for them? Also, I do not know the type of PS3 I have if there is a type but if there is, where could I find out?

Any SATA 2.5" (laptop size) hard drive will do.

Have you tried reseating it first to make sure that's not the issue? Just remove the HDD, and then reinsert it firmly into the HDD slot. If it does the same thing, then I'd say it's probably toast. Order a new HDD of the size you want from some place like Amazon or Newegg and just insert it into the PS3 / let it do it's thing.

Price range depends entirely on what size you want.

Have you tried reseating it first to make sure that's not the issue? Just remove the HDD, and then reinsert it firmly into the HDD slot. If it does the same thing, then I'd say it's probably toast. Order a new HDD of the size you want from some place like Amazon or Newegg and just insert it into the PS3 / let it do it's thing.

What size are they usually?

Off the top of my head... all sizes in GB:
80, 160, 250, 320, 500, 640, 750, 1000

I have just taken out the HDD and replaced it and the same thing happened. New HDD? What type would you personally prefer for a PS3?

I'd probably say new HDD time then.

Brands I'd look at would be Western Digital, SeaGate, HGST, and maybe Samsung.

Size all depends on how many games you had installed / want to have installed at a single time. What was the size of your old HDD? Did you have a lot of stuff saved on it?

I'd probably say new HDD time then.

Brands I'd look at would be Western Digital, SeaGate, HGST, and maybe Samsung.

Size all depends on how many games you had installed / want to have installed at a single time. What was the size of your old HDD? Did you have a lot of stuff saved on it?

It had 160GB and as far as I know, It only had one game that I am aware that required a download and install to the PS3. I now know that the HDD did not even have enough data to hold the game itself so yes, I will need a new HDD with much more data. The game was Destiny and it required in the 8400's to 8700's(with all of the add-ons) I believe. It was made by Toshiba by the way.

Off the top of my head... all sizes in GB:
80, 160, 250, 320, 500, 640, 750, 1000

Ok.. I am extremely confused now. The HDD says it has 8455MB but under it, it says 160GB. What does that mean?

Never mind. I understand it now!

Last edited:

Do you believe that this Hard Drive would work well for lots of big games?

Link: Amazon.com: WD Blue 320 GB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD3200BPVT: Electronics

Back
Top Bottom