Terrible DL Speed Fluctuations

As I stated, the internet ran fine. I do not pay or control the wifi, but I am sure it is top notch. It is only now, after years, that I am having problems. Nothing has changed with the ISP, so it is not an issue of me not paying for enough internet.
;)

I will run that test that was posted.

Have you called your ISP??
Do you particularly notice this during certain times during the day??
No, this happens always.

It definitely sounds like a problem with the wifi. If the wired machine is having no problems then it's not an issue with the ISP or the router's switchports. I recommend running Xirrus Wifi Inspector and posting a screenshot of the results. This will show if you are suffering from low signal strength, a crowded channel, or interference.

The first few possibilities that come to my mind:

Wireless interference
Failing wireless adapter
Failing wireless radio in router

Also, what antivirus are you using? If it's Mcafee or Norton then I would actually look at those first. AVG and Avast have also been known to cause issues.
AVG and MalewareBytes. I have been running these since day 1.

I have installed the wifi inspector, but what would you like me to screenshot? Do you want me to screenshot the main screen? Run a speed test? Quality? Connection?

I just ran speed test again, got 14 on test 1, 6 on test 2, and 4 on test 3.

Ran the connection test in that program and under "gateway reachable" it says warning: 40% ping loss. If that gives anyone a clue. On another test this issue does not appear.

I ran the test at times of noticable freeze ups and slow downs, and I would get that error on the "DNS Reachable" section. However this was not always the case.

Last edited:
Do you tend to download a lot?? There mayb be some kid of traffic management policy.

I have installed the wifi inspector, but what would you like me to screenshot? Do you want me to screenshot the main screen? Run a speed test? Quality? Connection?

This is the screen I'm looking for, I believe that it should be the main screen:

xirrus-wi-fi-inspector-13.png

Here is a screencap. Ignore the left side my computer thinks I have two monitors and that is my wallpaper that it thinks is on the other screen. Let me know if it is too small. It was larger when I took it but shrunk when I uploaded it here

Attachments

• screencap1.jpg
    screencap1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 9
That screenshot is super blurry and I couldn't make everything out. Just for future reference - cropping the pic to only include the relevant parts would help.

I couldn't make out the number, but it would appear that you don't have great signal strength (worse than -65, correct me if I'm wrong), despite that green bar. That makes me think that this is likely to be a wireless issue.

You mentioned that you do not control the wifi. Does this mean that you do not have administrative access to the wireless router? You're going to need access if you're going to make any changes. Just about everything that I suggest will require that kind of access.

From what I could see, your network is on channel 11 and channels 11 and 6 are heavily saturated in your area. I would suggest switching your wireless network to channel 1. I also see that your network uses WEP security, which I would advise against. That makes it more likely that you have an unauthorized user who is sucking up your wireless bandwidth. WEP is ridiculously easy to crack and you should be using WPA at the minimum. I would suggest reconfiguring the wireless network - new SSID, password, and WPA2 security. If none of that helps, I would try moving the PC closer to the router and/or trying a different wireless adapter. If moving it closer works, then that would point to wireless interference (even if it doesn't work, that would not rule out interference). If a different wireless adapter works, then that indicates a wifi adapter failure.

Things that I do not think are the issue but should still be looked into:

a) Latest drivers for your adapter. You mentioned that you don't know if you have the latest drivers. Do you know the make and model of your wifi adapter?
b) Having the latest updates and patches for your OS and programs.
c) Booting into safe mode with networking and running malware scans with your antivirus (AVG in your case) and an active scanner like Malwarebytes.
d) Get rid of AVG for a while just to see if that makes any difference.

My signal strength is -63. Also it cleared up yesterday but now is back to it's habits.

I'll try and get you a better picture. It wouldn't let me put in the pic any way except using the attachment button.

Can you see it now?
Click below to enlarge

screencap1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I see it now.

Do you have administrative access to your wireless router? There won't be a whole lot that you can do if you don't.

I can get it, shouldn't be a problem.

Also I have a netgear WNA 3100, I believe I downloaded the latest driver.

Last edited:
What is the make and model of your router, anyway? I see that it's running G speed. You should run N on it if you can.

Do you know how to access your router's setup page?

Try changing the channel for your wireless network to channel 1. Unless there are legacy devices connecting to the router that can only support WEP security, you should switch the security to WPA2. Keep in mind that devices that connect to the router will have to have their wireless profiles updated accordingly. The channel width for your network should also be at 40 MHz - if it's at 20, change it to 40. Save the settings and then power cycle the router.

Your wireless adapter should have the latest drivers if you downloaded software version 2.0 from the Netgear site (or 2.1 for Win8).

Have you had that router for a long time? It looks like a setup for older gear. Just about anything made within the last few years would be N speed, using at least WPA and not on channel 11 by default.

Back
Top Bottom