strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
I ran into a problem with my desktop computer i have a router and a modem connected to it but i dont have a internet connection on the desktop but i have a wireless connection. i talked to the manufacture or the modem and they said that the networking card thats in the back of the computer is bad. Is there any truth to that?

it's possible, but try this.

Go into device manager, find your lan card right click it and choose uninstall. then reboot, the os should reinstall the driver for you.

Are you connecting wirelessly with the same computer or a different one?

Open a command prompt on the wired one go to start/run and type cmd

do an ipconfig and it should give you an ip address subnet mask and gateway

the i want you to try and ping the gateway

I suspect his modem is also acting as a router and thats what he is wirelessly connecting to

If you want to discard the problem on your on-board ethernet card you can try to make a cross-over cable and connect the two computers with it, if you have link then your card is fine, and then you can check your router.
When I have a network problem I try to discard troubles from the physical layer to the upper layers, first I try cables, cards, etc, then layer 2 (switch) and then layer 3 (Routers), it's just a way to do it...

If you want to discard the problem on your on-board ethernet card you can try to make a cross-over cable and connect the two computers with it, if you have link then your card is fine, and then you can check your router.
When I have a network problem I try to discard troubles from the physical layer to the upper layers, first I try cables, cards, etc, then layer 2 (switch) and then layer 3 (Routers), it's just a way to do it...
Good solution!

is your Local Area Connection Enabled?
Does it have a static IP?
Have you tried fixing the winsock?
Is your router setup to assign IP addresses correctly?
Is your router setup as a switch or a WAP only?
Is the cable bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom