Starting Technology Career at 39 Advise

I thought there had been laws passed that prohibit any form of discrimination in regards to age as well as many other things such as race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, etc.

I would not think 39 is too old. I'm 30 myself turning 31 soon.

Are you considering IT in the Healthcare industry specifically?

Because you had mentioned that you had mostly been working in Healthcare administration something I'm going to school for right now, well sort of anyway, taking office administration type of courses myself at the moment since I figured I have transferable skills and knowledge from my prior IT background.

Although I had felt my prior experience wasn't really good and that I do not believe that it was inadequate for some of the more better type of IT jobs and positions (such as onsite IT support technician) which I really would hope I can still have a chance at getting back into at some point and if it works out I might just change my course and major that I am currently in for.

As for certifications, the consensus is usually the CompTIA A+, but it's not going to be as easy as many may make it sound. But from what I've read here, many users had told me that the CompTIA's A+ certification is really just as a way to help sell yourself when you do not have X number of years working in a IT position or job that offers a good variety of IT knowledge and experience on the job.

Having it might make you stand out more if you are one of the fewer applicants for the same job position that has the certification. They might consider giving you the in-person interview before any of the other applicants that lack any certifications and/or with fewer relevant work experience. Just increase your odds, but still no guarantees.

I did IT before but from my own experience I've learned that I just do not fit well in a call center format type of IT job providing support to customers from all over the country and even sometimes internationally with the company's products. Too little control over how I can resolve the issue, and some of the times I know for certain the problem just is not coming from our company's products and it can get really frustrating when the customer doesn't understand or isn't willing to accept that when I tell them and had confirmed it with my coworkers and supervisors. There are no Field Service Technicians that I could dispatch and send to clients or customers' location and we don't have a way to "remote" into clients' computers or machines and troubleshoot problems either as either of those factors would greatly help and relieve some of the stress and frustrations providing a phone-based focused type of IT support.

Best advice I can give to you is to have a clear goal of what you want to do or achieve in IT.

I strongly advise to do whatever it takes to qualify for entry-level "On-Site" type of job positions locally in your area or region. Again, this is coming from my own experience, because I believe that when it's manly onsite and internal, then you would have much more control on how you could and would resolve IT problems and fewer communication barriers and less misunderstandings.

Lastly, soft skills. This is a big one now when it comes to hiring decisions. Someone had mentioned this to me earlier and I can not agree more. If you are already good with people, can get along well, able to work well cooperatively as a team with others, punctual, able to consistently meet deadlines, etc. Then you are pretty much all set in that area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom