speed trick with my 32g SDD cache disk

Back in the early '80s, I used to work on disk drives like these at IBM. This is the IBM 3380, it was the size of a refrigerator, held 2.5GB of data, required 220VAC for power and cost thousands of $$$$.

Today I purchased some 16GB micro SD cards from Walmart for $8.45 each. Technology sure has come a long way.

Attachments

• 3380.jpg
    3380.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
That it had. It was amazing that it was cost prohibitive. Only businesses can afford it. I had to make do with a TI 99/4A and a Commodore 64 computers.

In comparison the computers I had were more fun than the early IBMs with their monochrome monitors and a beep for sound. The IBMs were strictly business machines.

My computers had sound and color graphics as well as basic programming, not to mention software on floppy disk and tape.

Yep, i used to think it was the millage but now i agree, its just age.

Sadly, it's almost impossible to have one without the other :)

Back in the early '80s, I used to work on disk drives like these at IBM. This is the IBM 3380, it was the size of a refrigerator, held 2.5GB of data, required 220VAC for power and cost thousands of $$$$.

Today I purchased some 16GB micro SD cards from Walmart for $8.45 each. Technology sure has come a long way.

This says it all http://s3.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/quickfix/7/7/1/144771.jpg?v=1

I can't account for it's accuracy, but it can't be that far off. Technology has made tremendous progress, and it also enabled other branches of science to make progress as well. Take for example electronic michroscopes...

Back
Top Bottom