So.... Star Trek XI.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, i saw an article about the actors - the actors were wary of the roles they were playing. They said something like "we hope that fans can accept us ... look past it" or something to that effect.

The only one of them i have any time for is Simon Peg, an that is because he is such a commic genius I have followed him from Spaced - Hot Fuzz and he REALLY is talented him and Bill Bailey are commic gods in th UK.

Just got back from seeing it. My daughter took me for my upcoming birthday. ;)

Overall, it was good. I won't give away any major spoilers or whatnot, but I will give my thoughts on it.

J.J. Abrams may be thought of as some kind of genius or entertainment god, but he is an idiot. Why would you take a story that has been given to the world bit by bit for over thirty years and completely toss it out the window? My guess would be so you could make more movies and not have the backlash from the fans that you would get for straight-up violating the Star Trek canon. Either way, I felt cheated by the movie... and I am not a big Trekkie.

Most of the movie was good. The whole "natural feel" of the unstable cameras was lost on me, making me feel queasy and on the verge of vertigo at times. Excuse me, but unless a person has Parkinson's or familial tremors their field of vision does not quiver. Someone needs to tell J.J. Goldenchild this little fact.

Also, this is a motion picture and not a television show. As such, you use different camera techniques. While this movie didn't smack of being ripped straight out of the TV lineup like the first TNG movie, the camera work was very much like that used on the TV series. That, coupled with the lens glare all the freaking time annoyed me to no end.

Meeting the original characters "for the first time" was neat, but devalued in that things were changed or not portrayed that way they had been given through TOS and the earlier movies. The whole "Kobayashi Maru" segment was a joke.

I will say some of the characterizations were spot on. McCoy was McCoy, Chekov was Chekov, and Scotty was Scotty. Spock was OK, but Kirk and Uhura was way off to me.

Overall, it is worth going to see. But do so knowing this IS NOT the Star Trek origin but rather J.J. Abrams complete tear-down and new origin that does not reflect what has gone before.

none of the characters look anything like what they did in the series.

just because you call a pile of poo delicious cake doesn't mean i'll eat it :\

The whole "natural feel" of the unstable cameras was lost on me, making me feel queasy and on the verge of vertigo at times. Excuse me, but unless a person has Parkinson's or familial tremors their field of vision does not quiver.

Mental note. Bring motion sickness pills and barf bag to cinema before seeing ST:XI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom