Should I wait for the Conroe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PixelManual

Baseband Member
Messages
25
Well, I've finally picked out the parts, and am fully read to purchase my new PC; however, now I have to decide whether to wait for the conroe to come out and everything to lower in price. Also, when the C comes out, I can then find out which mobos will fully support it for when I upgrade 2-3 years in the future.

I just cannot decide; grab the kick-*** gaming system and have it setup before thursday, or wait until August 5th or so to be using it.

Will there be That dramatic of a drop in pricing?
 

Nukem

Where am I again?
Messages
4,613
Location
Virginia Beach, VA
Supposedly AMD is droping their prices pretty substantial. Do a search in TF for it. There's been a few thread on this subject already... IMO I would wait for the price drop and go with AMD and wait to see the fog clear over the Conroe...
 

Brtnboarder495

Daemon Poster
Messages
1,306
Conroe should be out before August 1st, that is if everything goes according to plan.

As Nukem said, wait for Conroe to be released, wait for the remaining AM2's to be released, see where the prices are at, see how each model compares against eachother, and then make your decision.
 

Spartan

Daemon Poster
Messages
814
It's not just a matter of price. Until the CPUs actually come out, I wouldn't believe all of the pre-release testing touting Conroe as an AMD-killer. After release, look at the prices and decide what CPU will be best for your machine.

And shortly thereafter, I am sure that some TF member will post some results on their brand-spanking-new Conroe CPU. :D :D
 

Ridlyn

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,920
I would say wait, you dont have to wait for conroe exactly. But AMD is making some HUGE price cuts so that alone enough waiting for not just conroe.
 

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Messages
33,077
Location
The South
I'm hoping the price cuts will be deep enough that I can talk my wife into letting me splurge a bit.
 

Ridlyn

Fully Optimized
Messages
1,920
Trotter said:
I'm hoping the price cuts will be deep enough that I can talk my wife into letting me splurge a bit.

Or you can buy it w/o her knowing.
 

NathanM

Daemon Poster
Messages
841
I'd be careful about that. She might decide to buy a little something without you knowing.
 

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
Messages
1,255
Location
Minnesota
I know I'm going to wait, but that's mainly because I don't have any money as of yet. Also I want to see how the production Conroes perform compared to anything on AM2.
 

The General

Banned
Messages
5,191
NathanM said:
I'd be careful about that. She might decide to buy a little something without you knowing.

Yeah you don't want to go drop a grand and a half on a new system to find out your wife dropped a grand and a half on new furniture or something.


Two reasons to wait: Prices cuts on both sides, better performance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top