Should have the new System up and Running in next Cupple of Hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Got an old system here wich is a Full set up but its not the Best in the way of Speed,. Was given it by a Friend so av Put it to gether as a System and am gonna run the F@H Client on it, just bysy running the Updates for the Win 7HP OS. and then a load of other Softwere to Put on. So by the time the nights over their will be 4 Systems dedicated to F@H, with 5 Cores, as one of the Lappys with super Cooling has a Duel Core.

@Pattonb, thats what it must have been, the fact that one system has 2 Cores and the others are a Single CPU unit, thats why it was regestering 4 over the three Michines.

I enjoy Computers and Tech as a Hobby, so with me getting theese systems for free or next to nothing I've just been messing around and Building Upgradeing, Maintenence Ect: So dont Mind if I can do something usefuill with them like takeing part in tech-forums F@H Project.

Chuffed to Bits with the PPD I've racked up, but dosent seem many WU, so just have to keep Working away.

Should be in next Few Hours.

:grin:

I got the New system up and Running the other Night, and I really need to do some more reading on F@H, you seem like an Expert in the subject Paton. But its up and running and av now got 4 Systems F@H.

The SMP, what does that acutally stand for, like I seid I have got alot of reading to do but thought would ask since I'm posting this. You mite ask, why Fold, if you dont know much about it, but if I can do something usefull with the Systems then so be it.

I got the New system up and Running the other Night, and I really need to do some more reading on F@H, you seem like an Expert in the subject Paton. But its up and running and av now got 4 Systems F@H.

The SMP, what does that acutally stand for, like I seid I have got alot of reading to do but thought would ask since I'm posting this. You mite ask, why Fold, if you dont know much about it, but if I can do something usefull with the Systems then so be it.

Folding is something Im dion't know about, its a medical term.. I do know what the experiments doing though. Which is the important part.

In a nut shell, its theoretical modelling on how proteins in the body screw up and form deseases and cancers.. Which is all thats important t know.

As kmote said below, its multi process, so instead of running 4 small programs on a quad core, for 100% use, you run 1 big one.

I'm only an "expert" aqs i've run it 5 yrs and spent alot of money.

At the Minute Paton, I'm looking as to what Upgrades I can do to the systems. Importantly, the Desktops. So next week, I will be takeing a Trip to the Local PC Surplyer and Purchaseing a Number of new components such as RAM, Graphic Card X2, and mabie a Monitor with alots of other Bits and Bobs. Mite bye a sound Card.. Oviously a Sound Card will take the Load of the CPU but most importantly will Give better sound. But if it helps I'm gonna have to look at the Options available with the Buget I've got.

Now thing is, they are genuinely old systems in their requard as to whats available today, but even 2GB on the XP Home michine, and 3GB on the 7HP Michine will give a Dramatic Boost in proformance. Hopefully I will be spending at least 200 Quid on the upgrades.

Was bysy thinking, whats the point when you could by a new Michine but for what I have here at Home, it will be worth it a think over the course of the Proformence Vs. Price in comaprison to a new Desktop wich could cost God know how much.

Whats deffo on the cards is a New Graphics Card for the two systems and mor Memory, and a New Monitor at least. :thumbsup: :sweat::big_smile: :big_grin:

Had a look at the product and it would'nt be any Good, the GPU I purchased was a 6 Series for the older AGP Bus, but dispite not being able to fit it to the System as Windows keeps crashing I'm averageing 350+PPD, on that particular System. In total I'm averageing an Approx 775PPD, to a max of 1000 PPD over the 4 Michines via the Swich.

As a quck question I'm running the Windows Client for the F@H Project. Ver.6.23 but still haveing the 5 Cores regestering uner the Stats page. So I'm not sure if I'm running the SMP Client.

Here is the Link from wich I downloaded it: Folding@home - Download the Folding@home software application

Can you tell if im running the SMP client, as its saying 5 Cores are Running Paton.

DO NOT run a beta client if you or your machines cannot tolerate even the slightest instability or problems.

Folding@home - WinSMPGuide

I'll stick with the Public Domain Client thats stable from what I can gather for the time being instead of running the Beta Client SMP2 Consloe Ver.

Was looking and its up to 6.34 Release, for 64Bit & 32Bit Michines, but at the Minute even thor I'm only running the CPU Client Ver.6.23 it seems Stable. Unless what you were saying in your thread that if I add -smp, to the start up command then useing the Client I've downloaded from the Public Domain Ver.6.23 this will run the two Cores as one! Would that work? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom