s.Darko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely milking it. I saw Donny Darko in high school and i thought it was a big pile of emo trash. I'll probably have a different opinion of it if I saw it again, though.

How was it emo? The movie was made in 1999, emo didn't show up in the mainstream till 03-04.

But I agree with the milking talk. The first one was really cool. I heard that the writers and production staff are all new. So there isn't anyone from the first movie left, except for the actors. It's going to suck. Unless someone tells me that its worth seeing I wont watch it. I would rather remember it as it was the first time.

Didn't show up in mainstream, maybe, but Donnie Darko was a cult classic anyway. Emo has technically been around since the late 80s.

While I'm interested in watching it, no way am I spending money to rent it. Maybe I can get someone else to do it for me, haha.

^ Emo has been around since Sunny Day Real Estate. Thanks to bands like Saves the Day (who i do like as well) Emo was brought into the mainstream. I went through an Emo listening phase in middle school/freshman year.

That movie is def a hit with the Emo/scene kid/hipster crowd. I still love Donnie Darko

Emo has been around for years, but wasn't big until the mid 2000's. Before then it was still mostly worked in with hardcore punk and indie. Donnie Darko isn't an emo movie. I can't believe we are having this discussion. Not everything slightly dark or depressing is emo either. Emo is a music genre and a fashion style. Not a mvoie genre. Unless it's some dvd about afi on tour a movie can't be "emo"

That movie is def a hit with the Emo/scene kid/hipster crowd. I still love Donnie Darko

That's why I called it emo earlier, that's who kept raving about it at my high school. I think Clockwork Orange was another one a lot of them were in to. As I said, though, I'll probably have a different opinion of it if I watched it today.

Emo has been around for years, but wasn't big until the mid 2000's. Before then it was still mostly worked in with hardcore punk and indie. Donnie Darko isn't an emo movie. I can't believe we are having this discussion. Not everything slightly dark or depressing is emo either. Emo is a music genre and a fashion style. Not a mvoie genre. Unless it's some dvd about afi on tour a movie can't be "emo"

Clearly a difference of opinion.

clockwork orange i am in two minds on that film on one hand it's quite violent which is always a plus but on the other hand parts of it is drag on an on and on it's almost as bad as watching the best of river dance some people call it cult when it's really only interesting for 1/3rd of the film.

If it was not for the entire

Time Travelling thing
I would of lost interest in the first film very quickly.

Seriously, Donnie a dead beat.

That's why I called it emo earlier, that's who kept raving about it at my high school. I think Clockwork Orange was another one a lot of them were in to. As I said, though, I'll probably have a different opinion of it if I watched it today.

Donnie Darko, A Clockwork Orange, Requim for a Dream, Fight Club, Snatch, Boondock Saints, and Pulp Fiction. All solid movies but all really trendy with the hipsters. But not only hipsters are into em ha. I love em, and my best friend whose in the AIr foice, just completed BMT and whose starting SERE training loves all of em. So ya don't have to fit a stereotype to be into cult classics.

Most guys would say that Pulp fiction is their favorite movie. its a real dude movie. very very quotable. Boondock saints is action, with Irish guys, I can't complain there. Donnie Darko is just a weird movie, was fun to watch. Haven't seen fight club, but i heard it was good. And I can't comment on the others. I really don't think any of them have much in common, other than the cool factor. Pulp fiction is a Tarantino film, the guys a genius, the other two, up until recently were both one off films that had a lot in the originality factor.

As time has gone on I have begun to drift away from using labels on people. I think things like "hipster" "metalhead" "emo" "prep" etc are all just stereo types. Save for prep and hipster I have really never met anyone who has fit into those stereotypes fully. I think hipster and prep are too broad anyways. Anyone can be a prep, and any guy that has a decent sense of how to dress is either gay or a hipster.

It doesn't work like that. People like the movies because they are good movies. You can assign labels to the crowd as much as you want, but it doesn't work that way. At least not around here it doesn't. Maybe you city kids are are clones, but here in Kentucky we like to be original.

[/rant]

Donnie Darko, A Clockwork Orange, Requim for a Dream, Fight Club, Snatch, Boondock Saints, and Pulp Fiction. All solid movies but all really trendy with the hipsters. But not only hipsters are into em ha. I love em, and my best friend whose in the AIr foice, just completed BMT and whose starting SERE training loves all of em. So ya don't have to fit a stereotype to be into cult classics.

As for the Air Force, we all have good taste, and are really smart, and good looking. The service just attracts the really attractive and intelligent *** kickers.

^ Emo has been around since Sunny Day Real Estate. Thanks to bands like Saves the Day (who i do like as well) Emo was brought into the mainstream. I went through an Emo listening phase in middle school/freshman year.

Actually, it started in the mid 80s. It started becoming an actual genre in the early 90s with bands like Sunny Day Real Estate. :p It went mainstream in the 2000's, though.

By the way, I have to say that Reqiuem for a Dream is one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen. Million times worse than Crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom