Rts/rpg/fps hybrid game

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltynay

Patron
Just thought I would spread the word for this little known game with my own mini-review (I know its already been posted but not with a first hand member review). The trial is virtually a complete game except your lacking 2 inventory spots out of 6 and some online content (player stats and unlimited replay download) it's $9.99 to buy the upgraded account but the trial is indefinate and you can play on all the servers so an excellent way to try and buy or just download and leave as is.

I was reccomended this game a few weeks ago and as its free I thought it would be good for an hour or 2 of gameplay. Its now up there with my favourite games ever and I have actually bought the premium account and the boxset to give the developers my support as I believe it really is that good. The UK fanbase also seems very strong as everytime I have logged in to the multiplayer server (which the whole game is about, there is no singleplayer although you wouldn't want there to be) its been fairly full for such an unknown game.

The game is a fantasy game with 2 traditional races of beasts and humans. You have one player as the commander who researchs technology and buildings, does magic spells to his players advantage and is overall in charge of the ultimate strategy. Next come squad leaders in the hierachy who have the ability to place spawn points and give commands to there 3 other squad members aswell as playing as a normal warrior player (like a fps/rpg). Finally are your average warriors with no responsibility except to kill the enemy. During the match you level up and able to increase various stats like strength, agility, intelligence and you also carry an inventory to buy approx 20 different items (this may seem low but your inventory is reset after every match and its more then enough to ensure that there isn't a stark contrast between people just joining the server and ones who have played for 30 minutes in the match and fully levelled up). You can also use your money to buy units, there are 4 free units and 3 paid for units and they different for each race. Finally when you kill sufficient enemies you can sell their souls to collect hellspawn units which there are 3 available and are all demons which are universal to both teams.

As games go the graphics are average but as a free game who cares I would say it was around par with early WoW. The community is friendly althoug there are always a few idiots however the few times I have played as command I told my other players that I was still a noob in the role from the beggining and didn't get any aggy just advice from everyone else. As a general foot troop player it doesn't matter if your a noob providing you stay with your squad even the best of players can be taken out with a small organised mob.

Screenshots:
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul Screens for PC at GameSpot
Reviews:
Savage 2: A Tortured Soul (pc: 2008): Reviews
Video of gameplay:
YouTube - Gamehelper.com - Savage 2: A Tortured Soul

Game website:
Savage 2 - A Tortured Soul

Its supported by all platforms so no Operating system is left out

Gamerankings.com gives Savage 2 an average ratio score of 77 percent, whereas Metacritic.com gives the game an overall score of 75 out of 100. IGN gave an overall score of 8.5/10 due to "Graphics - A reasonable improvement over the previous version but it still a bit behind what we're seeing in other online games."

pm me if you want to join the game as it means I can get a free reward if I refer a person as a premium member.

Gamerankings.com gives Savage 2 an average ratio score of 77 percent, whereas Metacritic.com gives the game an overall score of 75 out of 100. IGN gave an overall score of 8.5/10 due to "Graphics - A reasonable improvement over the previous version but it still a bit behind what we're seeing in other online games."

I just want to say I always go by gamerankings metascore because they not only filter bad reviewers ( criteria below ) from the metascore, they also scale the ranks more appropriately for sites that give out letter grades.

criteria

Sites must have at least 300 archived reviews for a multi-system/multi-genre sites, or 100 reviews for single-system or genre sites.
Sites must publish a minimum of 15 reviews a month.
Sites must be visually appealing and looks professional.
Sites must review a variety of titles.
Sites must have a dedicated domain name with professional hosting.
Site reviews must be well written.
Sites must conduct themselves in a professional manner.

I usually go with gamerankings metascore and metacritic.com when purchasing a game but with a free game I just look at the screenshots and download. Reviewers review everything from £50 games to £0 games and so they have high expectations which a free game would really struggle to beat, due to the lack of funding. I think it has a very good score given its price.

im going to try the free trail, i will report back after i have played it a little.

thanks for the heads up

edit:

played for atleast an hour, it was fun, but i had no idea what i was doing.

Idea of the game try and kill as many enemies as possible and ultimately destroy the enemy stronghold but this will take a whole team effort. For the most part your wrestling over control of goldmines and trying to keep a defensive line which you can gradually attack from.

just registered, its a great game! and I love their distribution method, though I saw the "if you register now you get these bonuses" tab a little bit to much.....

but srsly, 10$ for QUALITY indy gaming, im all over it.

-Drew

Nice review salty. Going to try this game out tomorrow when I have some time.

As for overall records I usually use GameStats.

I may try it out....now that i have access to high speed for a while.

Is it that taxing though? because i only have the high speed on my laptop...

I may try it out....now that i have access to high speed for a while.

Is it that taxing though? because i only have the high speed on my laptop...

Strange can't find system requirements on the webby but fortunately I bought a boxed copy of the game so they are as follows:

Minimum:
Cpu - 2.2ghz P4 or faster, AMD 2000+ or faster
Ram - 1gb or higher
Videocard - 128mb fully directx 9.0 compliant geforce or radeon
Windows 2k, Windows xp, Windows vista, OSX, Linux
Network - 56k and up

Recommended:
Cpu - 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo or faster, AMD 3500+ or faster
Ram - 1.5gb or higher
Videocard - 256mb geforce 7800+ or Radeon X1900
Network - Brodband

The latest patch 2.0 has had a slow down bug for some commander players but the community suspect it should be fixed this week. Playing as a normal FPS player there is no lag server end.

I updated the original post just found out that as a premium member if I refer you guys to the game I can get extras in the game so please pm me if you want to be added

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom