Problem when installing Ubuntu 10.10 on netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well when that stuff came up I thought I had gotten into Ubuntu and had turned off the USB CD drive I was using. That's probably what that was but I can try the check media thing.

I should probably mention that I was not connected to the internet while installing. I don't know if this would make a difference because even though I wasn't connected it let me start the installation.

While installing I saw nothing about Grub mentioned. Would it work to just download Grub separate and install it so I could get to Ubuntu?

Posting from the netbook in XP right now.

The Ubuntu installation does not ask any questions about Grub whatsoever. It's handled auto-magically in the background. Grub is just the name for the Linux boot loader used by Ubuntu and countless other Linux based distros.

I've had some strange things happen from warped media. I would suggest checking the MD5's on the ISO download you get and at the VERY least... doing the check media thing as suggested earlier.

Fun fact - Once I had gone through about 3 or 4 different Ubuntu CDs, all exhibiting weirdness. I checked each one. Failed. I pulled a blank CD from a different stack, burned at the slowest speed (just like my other burns) and bam - worked fine. Turns out I had a defective bunch of blank CDs.

Not exactly sure what "MD5's" are and how to check them. I did download it right from the Ubuntu site (no reason to go anywhere else).

I can try starting all over again tomorrow with a fresh install and format(as long as the CD checks out good).

Fun Fact #2: I do some VHS copying to DVD on the side and had a batch of Memorex DVDs where half of them didn't work. Now I use Taiyo Yuden DVDs bought from my grandpa for 90 cents each. Expensive but worth it. I haven't had one fail on me yet.

Ok so while going through the install this popped up. It had come up before but this time I thought it may be what is causing the problem so I took a pic and then stopped the install.

Ubuntu error by Fairfield Falcons Fan, on Flickr

Let me know if this helps.

And I may get my DVDs from there when I need more. I just got them from my Grandpa because he uses them a lot and I needed some urgently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom